Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I've searched some threads on this and didn't find much.

I'm getting around 350km (about 220 miles) on a tank of gas.
This is driving 60% city/40 highway, purposely driving non-agressively (shifting at 3k and not much more). I am using premium at every fill. The car has around 59 k miles on it, no brake issues like sticking cables etc, tires are up to pressure etc.
Things I thought about doing to solve this are: replace plugs and the fuel filter. I also read that some have done a fuel injection clean, but I don't feel this is necessary as the car is low miles and the car idles on the line (800k) with no fluctuation. What else could be causing this issue? If there is anyone out there who has had this similar issue, or might know the cause, please offer me some advice. I know that the milage on the sticker on these cars isn't quite accurate, but 220 miles a tank is totally ridiculous.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Ok, I managed to find some more info on this searching the site. My original search under "mileage" didn't come up with anything...?
anyway, I have a feeling the poor mileage might have something to do with the cold weather, and the winter tires I have to run due to the crazy weather we get here. They tend to leak a little with the fluctuations in temps I think as well (+7, down to -30 in the course of a couple of days). I will make sure the tires are up to pressure and reassess the 'problem' in the spring when the summer tires are back on.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I had about the same mileage has you. I did replace the plugs, wires and filters and I cleaned the intake manifold. That helped. But having the injectors cleaned with a Motorvac machine bumped up my mileage by around 100kms. Like you said, my car idle very well before the cleaning. (still idle very good after) Injectors don't really get dirty with high miles. (some would argue that it's the opposite)
BTW: Using premium gas doesn't give you any advantage especially when it hovers around 1$ per liter (or 4$ per gallon)

Hope it helps,

Eric

PT Cruiser Limited 2002 MTX of course! Mystique 1998 V6 MTX Sold.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I was thinking of doing the injector clean anyway, it might pay for itself over the course of a few months of driving.
Thanks for the advice.
As far as the premium fuel goes, I am a firm believer in putting in the reccomended fuel,unless you have adjustable ignition. I tried skimping a few times on a low grade fuel in my probe gt, and the car ran like crap. Soon after, I had the 02 sensor go.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I get about 350km/tank of gas during the winter. Usually around 425-450/tank before my light comes on.
I need to replace the IAC valve and replace the pre-cats though (headers!!). Oh yeah ... 2nd won't engage while the MTX is cold so I tend to either go 1-3 or keep it in 2nd even though I should go up to 3rd as I know it might not go back in when I downshift ... this can really change your fuel economy.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Hate to tell you, but 87 is the recommended fuel. If you have to use the premium, maybe its time to clean out the UIM/LIM. Some people have reported having to use premium and it turned out that was their problem. You might was\nt to consider using ethanol. If you get it from Macewen's, its the same price as regular. Its 89 octane and burns much cleaner. I have been using it for years in my Mustang and use it whenever possible in the Mystique. Never had to use injector cleaner and both love it.

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
One thing I always wondered about ethanol ... can I use it ?LOL
Sounds simple to answer, but with 160,000kms on the clock and having run regular for 7 years ... would it be something you can just 'change' to or would I need to do something first (clean) or simply say no to.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I'm driving an CSVT, which indicates "premium fuel only" right on the gas gauge...which is the 'gold' pump...which is normally 91 octane in these parts. Ask anyone else, putting 87 octane in an svt that requires premium is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
In the case of the SVT, premium fuel is required because of the timing of the car. Placing anything lower will save you a few cents on gas, however, the timing will be cut to compensate for this, your car will be in "safe-mode", so to speak, and you will lose any benefits you just gained from getting cheaper gas, because you now get worse mileage and have to fill up MORE OFTEN.

Search around..

As always..

YMMV

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Damn, I stand corrected. Anyway, anyone who is considering using ethanol, just put it in the tank and drive. Now you may have heard some horror stories of their car running like crap or things like the fuel filter pluggng etc ... but there is a really good explanation. Most of these stories are from people who drive really old cars. Ethanol is so cleansing, it loosens all the crap that may be in your tank lines, etc. The worst thing that can happen is that you might have to change your fuel filter, but judging from the age of your car, I wouldn't worry. There is also a super ethanol out there as well. I believe its 93 octane. The best part of using ethanol ? You'll never have to add gas line antifreeze ...

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard