Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Man ... I hate to post hijack ... but this Ethanol thing has me intrigued now.
Okay, I'm considering trying this stuff in my Mystique, so octane isn't a problem but ... will Ethanol have any effect with cats? For instance, my precats are getting well iffy, and after a hefty spurt of driving, you can smell the sulphur when you get out the car. I'm presuming that the Ethanol wouldn't make a change, as it's only a 10% mix, but thought I'd ask first.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Christian:
Man ... I hate to post hijack ... but this Ethanol thing has me intrigued now.
Okay, I'm considering trying this stuff in my Mystique, so octane isn't a problem but ... will Ethanol have any effect with cats? For instance, my precats are getting well iffy, and after a hefty spurt of driving, you can smell the sulphur when you get out the car. I'm presuming that the Ethanol wouldn't make a change, as it's only a 10% mix, but thought I'd ask first.

I'm guessing there is not a lot of factual research yet as to what happens over time when you swith to ethonol. As far as I know, it is supposed to burn cleaner....so you would assume it wouldn't do any harm to the cats. I would worry more about what effect it has on the o2 sensors as they communicate to the vehicles computer as to the air/fuel mixture, and in turn effects your exhaust which runs through the cats (which could prematurely wear due to 02 sensors sending wrong messages to the engine).
I am not a chemical/propellent engineer so perhaps someone else has more accurate info on this.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
You shouldn't see any problems with the gasohol. My 2005 Escape owners manual even says that is is acceptable, as are the oxygenated fuels being sold in many of the large metro areas.

'96 SE 2.5 V6 ATX, Willow Frost Metallic 10-hole '84 Mustang 15x7 wheels w/ Dunlop 225/50-15's CSVT air intake components with K&N cone filter Optimized TB Gutted Pre-cats w/MIL eliminators
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
When gosohol first came out, a lot of manufacturers did not recommend it. Most, if not all, have changed their tune. Right on my Arctc Cat ( its a 1991 ) it says to not use it. Arctic Cat now endorses it in the new sleds as well as the older ones. If you were driving a car built in the 80's, I'd be worried about it gunking things up ( just because it cleans so well ). On our cars, I wouldn't worry. Think of it as running injector cleaner in every tank. You don't see people running out to buy new fuel filters when they add a can of cleaner. Treat ethanol the same way. Just put in and drive and be happy :-)

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Ray:
Don't waste your time.

As already stated in this post, and NUMEROUS other posts.. the lower octane will cause worse mileage, a potential for greater build-up of carbon in the UIM/LIM, and premature wear on sensors, etc..

Learn the easy way, with compiled knowledge from around the country (CEG) instead of the hard way, on purpose..

Ray

So dont use 89? What should I use? Or was this post not directed at me? Oh Im so confused now

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If you own an SVT use 91 or higher.. all the time.. every time... any time... however you want to slice it, or say it... just do it..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard