Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
Sounds like you have the same problem i had! Well here is how you fix it. Take a look at the belt tensioner and check to see if it looks like it's wobbling slighty, if so replace the tensioner pulley and belt. Also it would be a good time to flush the cooling system. My constant leaking pumping turned out to be a warped pump housing! i kept replacing the impellar side of the pump and just like you after a couple months or so it would start leaking, take the housing off and check for warping or damage around the surface.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Would the tensioner pulley and belt being wobbly warp the pump housing? I assume the pump housing is the exterior portion of the waterpump.

If this is true, it sounds like it could be my problem, although my waterpumps are lasting 9 months to a year.

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
The tensioner pully would not warp the pump housing but it does cause extreme wear and tear to the pully on the pump causing the seal to pre-maturily fail, which would cause it to leak. In my case it was a combination of both, but moreso the warped housing. Since i've replaced the housing, pully and belt. My beater has been leak free for almost a year and a half now. The pump housing is outer portion of the pump, it has two hoses connected too it and it's bolted on the block. If you get the part from ford it comes with both the housing and the
"improved" white/cream impellar side of the pump and it also comes with the gasket and new bolts.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
How much are the pully and the belt? Can I get them both from NAPA/Oreilly etc... or I am gonna have to go to Ford for them?

1998 Contour SVT Black with midnight blue interior http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/300749/contoursvt.jpg Build number to come soon!
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Anyone?

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I read this entire thread, and am amazed that you and I have the same problem. Heres what I can offer. DO the work yourself, take the battery out and it is a 30 minute job, a little music some water and before you know it you are done. As for part, I have looked at Autozone, Oreilly, NAPA, Advance and the dealership. The only place that has it it the dealership, and that is a better buy anyway. I comes with new bolts, new tensioner and the water pump. In fact, Ford refers to the part as the water pump. This will cost you 120 dollars. The water pump guts at oreilly will cost you 50. Go to the dealership and good luck.

N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Let me see if I understand you correctly. If I go to a Ford dealership and ask for a "water pump" I will get the water pump as well as the belt and tensioner, for $120 dollars?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I just did my water pump, it took me the better 1/2 of 6 hours...but it was my first time and I spent a good while tracking down the right water pump.

Listen, if you dont want to change it out in your street, my parents are very nice and give me the garage anytime I need to work on the car.

I have air tools, any and all fluids you could possibly need, a fridge in the garage so we can grab drinks whenever and 2 fans so we can keep cool.

Unfortunately I wont be home and available till next Saturday as Im in OKC,OK this weekend and work all week.

So if you can wait a little, its pretty easy to do it in a garage.

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
N
nasty1 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Thanks for the offer man. The car is out of commision completely though. I would have to tow it, and that wouldn't be cheap.

I got one of my roomates to move his car from the parking area behing my building. We pushed it back there, and I think that is where I will fix it.

Where in Dallas do you live?

I still need help guys with what parts I need to get from Ford!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Dayco WP belt is about $12. I got mine from Advance Auto. Napa and Autozone should stock it too. Got my white impellar water pump from Napa $66 (after AAA discount). Don't know about the tensioner pulley.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard