Just FYI, another response from Redline.

Originally posted by Redline Oil:

The MTL is not corrosive to brass or bronze and is non-corrosive at temperatures in excess of 375�°F. Sulphur does not oxidize aluminum. Aluminum oxide is white, not black.

Starting in 2000 Ford started recommending a different fluid, XT-M5_QS a synthetic manual transmission fluid in these all of transaxles and retrofitting it in earlier units. This is a GL-4 qualified fluid, it contains the GL-4 levels of sulphur and is very close in viscosity to the MTL.

If the black coloration is due to anything other than just normal wear, it may be just oxidation due to temperature. A sulphur containing fluid can darken with sufficient temperature, this doesn't change it's ability to perform or protect. An oxide coating on a gear actually is protective. I haven't seen an indication that MTL doesn't perform or protect well in the transaxles, certainly superior to an ATF. An ATF does use a different GL-4 chemistry so would tend to remain clearer/lighter in color.

In a dog ring racing transaxle we would recommend the ShockProof LightWeight though that is a completely different application.

A note regarding the MTL spec sheet quote, it is saying the MTL is a suitable replacement for a motor oil or a GL-1, GL-3 or GL-4 gear oil in a transmission/transaxle application. A 5W30 motor oil for example is the same viscosity as a 70W80 gear oil and a good motor oil will offer GL-4 protection levels. Ford has and currently does call for a GL-4 gear oil in the MTX-75 transaxle as noted above.

I am sorry if people are selling off their MTL based on misinformation.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions and/or comments.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Combine this with some of the Materials information I posted and You may start to wonder if your assumptions are correct. IN FACT, why haven't there been any comments on my observations that Aluminum Oxide isn't likely to be affected by additional corrosives?
Why hasn't someone addressed the issue that a friction based LSD is going to wear down material over time and that the material is going to go somewhere?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black