Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
This is retarded. The transmission was a rebuild. It was basically new. I ran MTL in it from the rebuild on til now. About 14k miles. There IS NOTHING else that could've caused the sludge. Prior to the rebuild the case was CLEAN. After the rebuild the case was CLEAN. How are you ppl not getting this!?

Don't you remember that the torsen and quaife both rely on friction from gears rubbing together? You didn't have a failure with the MTL as you pointed out and you didn't have a problem with your transmission since he looked at it for research.
Don't you think it is possible to have gotten a significant amount of black metal residue from any fluid while that diff was breaking in?
All of you people have Failed to even acknowledge the point I made that you will get the same stuff in an ATF equipped transmission with a torsen. You just jump on the MTL bandwagon but it is the worn down material from the gears. Damn, at least address this point instead of jumping to a different topic and avoiding it.

Are you saying positively that this wear and sludge would NOT have occured with ATF or Honey? Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is so to speak when the next transmission that is opened up and didn't have MTL looks like that? [ If there were anyone with a stock tranny that ran mobile1 and a torsen or honey and a torsen decides they want free labor to help THEM pull the trans for some reason, then I will...just to examine the inside of the transmission while I am at it. I have the garage and I have the tools.]

How many people who have put in these ATB's have had the things opened back up and examined? Not many because they are built so much better than the stock diff. This means that any number of ATBs out there could be showing the exact kind of sludge buildup with any kind of fluid and YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW because they are working fine, haven't failed and don't need to be opened up. Hell, the inside of the transmission is a rough aluminum surface, porous. It is going to hold on to any particles that settle on it and not allow them to be flushed out anyway when you drain the oil. So will the magnet. It's going to be there, count on it.

All you did with having your trans opened up (besides muddy the waters more) was prove that your transmission with an ATB has higher amounts of wear residue than a non ATB equiped transmission. IF the stock diff is failing, IT WILL ALSO have high amounts of material but because it was failing, not because it is designed to have gears rub together and wear like an ATB.

So your statement is a perfect example of oversimplification and not really addressing all the possibilities.
I would love to see your transmissin in 20K miles after the Ford Honey. Will it have residue? I'm almost positive your magnet will have a good coating but it will be less overall since your differential is now broke in and the rate of material wear will have dropped lower now.

And I'm not even positively saying the MTL is not the cause or a contributor of some other transmission failures...but I highly doubt it.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black