Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Rishodi:
After a few years of wear, the differential and the synchros are prone to give out. It's not at all an uncommon issue.

Umm NO! I had 130k when my 2.5 spun a bearing. My stock MTX looked great when I had a Quaife installed!!!! Big Jim has 200+k on his SVT without any motor or tranny work. Proof that aggresive maintenance works. Nice try on that angle though.

I don't get why you're so adament about this. Aggressive maintenance helps but it's no guarantee; it never is. It's rare that a Contour gets high mileage without a transmission problem. Hell, I'm surprised that mine has gotten to 130k without any issues. And no, I don't abuse it and neither did the previous owner. It's a simple fact that our transmissions aren't the greastest and are prone to failure.

To answer your question, I use Castrol GTX in my engine, and I buy it by the gallon, which comes out to around $2.25 per quart. That and changing the oil filter every time makes it a little less than $20 for me to do it myself.

If you can't see my viewpoint, that's fine and it's no big deal to me. I can see yours and that's fine, though you're pushing it awfully hard. Basically, I just don't think that it's worth spending the money on the best/most expensive of everything as long as you can find a cheaper item of near quality, because at the same time it is worth spending enough to get a better product than the cheapest available. I think that's just being realistic and careful with your finances. You call me cheap? You should meet my roommate lol

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851