Lots of good examples and advice in this thread. Two things stuck out in my mind that are worth repeating: bachelors might not teach you too much practical knowledge (better if you can get some co-op experience as part of the deal) but you will learn how to think and problem solve, and you'd better like math, especially the one I don't think was mentioned: calculus. You will never escape calculus, even in upper years they just rename the courses, but you're still doing it. Only text book I kept all the way through was first year calc (mostly because I'd forget how to integrate after returning from each co-op term).

I did a bachelors in System Design engineering at Waterloo, 5 years with the mandatory co-op. Have worked in networking, software and semiconductors, but purely in the technical marketing or product management side. It was a good experience, and a year in Silicon Valley was an eye-opener...I knew half way through that I engineering wasn't for me, but I guess inertia got the best of me and I stuck it out.

Best thing about engineering is, even if you change your mind about careers, the degree won't limit you from anything as long as you keep your grades decent; although if you realize you want to do something other than engineering there are definitely much easier / more direct paths to pursue to that goal. Personally, I graduated in '04 and never made it into the corporate 'real world'. Started a business during my last year and transitioned it off last year. I just finished first year medical school, and FWIW there are close to a dozen engineers in my class (mech, chem, comp, etc) including a couple older fellas who worked for many years before switching, so there are endless possibilities coming from an eng background.

If I could go back, would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. I know a lot of engineers who aren't happy with their careers and look back on their education choice with regret, but I really think the problem solving skills you learn can extend to many other facets of your life and even different careers if you choose.