Originally posted by m4gician:
uh lets see I just went over 250,000KM the other day so... about 150,000 miles. If you believe I'll benefit I will do it. In about Dec 03, I acquired my old mystique. So in about 20 months or so I've put on about 60,000 miles. Most of them highway obviously. So well here's what I'm going to do then, Higher mileage 5w20 with a high endurance oil filter, that sounds like a good economical investment. I'll get the durable oil that lasts as long as you say, about 5,000 miles.

What I'm saying is this:

Open your mind. Then do some research. Then choose a solution that meets your goals which, if I read correctly, are 1) lower maintenance costs, and 2) get another 150k miles (or more) out of your engine.

I'm suggesting that based on your annual mileage, the Amsoil could represent a good value to you. The oil is designed to run 25,000 miles or one year between changes. You may have to change your filter after 6 months, I'm not sure. But rather than "generic oil" and "some generic filter" that might meet half of your requirements, an extended drain synthetic like Amsoil, with high quality oil and air filtration, can meet both of them.

And believe it or not, I'm not an "Amsoil rep." I'm not even a user. I put low miles on my car every year, so the 25,000 mile interval doesn't really pay off for me. So, I use Mobil 1 (another synthetic) every 5,000, and that's with what could be considered a severe duty cycle. I have the oil analysis to prove that my engine is protected just fine with this arrangement. However, that would not be the cheapest solution for you.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998