Originally posted by platinum_drew:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by m4gician:

I'm just going to put Wal-mart tech2000 5w20 in from now on. That combined with a Fram or K&N Filter.

I don't know anything about Wal-Mart oil. I might use it in my lawnmower in a pinch.

Fram filters are cheap but they suck. ($2-$3?)

K&N filters are expensive but they rock. ($10-$12)

Why not split the difference? Get a Motorcraft filter ($4-$5), which actually filters well for not much more than a Fram?

idk why everyone bashes fram. maybe they're the "worst filters out there", but for me it's a SERIOUS PITA to go somewhere that stocks something else. I have a walmart about a mile from my house, vs. 10+ miles to the nearest pepboys, and about as far/further to advance auto. I have 187 on the clock, and it seems like my motor's the only healthy thing on my car (well, that hasn't been replaced at least). if you do regular oil changes, I don't see any problem with using fram. it's given me no problems. I do use the high mileage one now, but it's still fram.

Not all Fram's are the same. I've heard that their higher end filters are OK. FWIW, my local Wal-Mart also carries Motorcraft, now, which is my personal preference. I also get the 5-Quart jugs of Mobil 1 there.

The low-end Frams appear to be poorly constructed internally. That's why get bashed.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998