Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
I think Supertech and Tech2000 are the same thing. It's in the blue plastic bottles.

Dude, if you really need to save money at all costs, then get the 5qt jug of Tech2000 and another qt, should run about $9 with tax, plus a motorcraft filter, $4 w/tax. $13 out of the door/3k miles.

If you want more assurance, buy the next cheapest name-brand oil, Quaker STate. It'll be like $3/4 more/oil change interval=$17/change.

All of these are 3k intervals, more than 3k, is into the synthetics. For example, on my car I use M1= $25 oil + 4 Motorcraft filter + tax=$30/change. However, I change my oil every 6k miles. Hence, why a lot of people use synthetic, it's better for your engine (if younger-older engines can deteriorate crude holding seals in place, thus forming leaks), it's almost the same cost/oil ratio, and it involves less frequent changes, hence a win, win situation.
It doesn't seem logical at the store, but in the long-run as Roger pointed it out, it's pretty practical.

In regards, to your deals w/QS filters and whatnot, I believe most of those are Fram filters, so I would avoid that. You can always ask them to double-check, but most of the oil change guys aren't very reliable sources of info. Secondly, from my Canadian friends, I've heard CT isn't the most reliable source for car work in Canada.

Good luck man, whatever you decide. Hey, one thing, I checked your profile, and noticed your last name is Prakash. Are you Indian by chance?

ji, jess jess I am

So your advice in the long run would be to pick up some Mobil1 5w20, with a K&N filter? ANd not worry about either for about 6k miles or 10k kms. ? If that's what makes sense, I'd go for it. Just trying to gauge what will be better for my car in the long run. I want this engine to be able to run well not just run. After having changed the tranny (why... ) and the Oil pan (mother fu****). Would I still benefit any from using Synthetic now at 250,000 KM ? If so I'll have that done for my next oil change, btw i'm changing the oil myself and the only thing I have to work out besides the exact oil and filter, is how to transport the old oil an d filter to a disposal site. And yes CT is a big overpriced and unreliable place for oil and things like that, I need someone there who has a discount or a Wal-mart discount or some discount place for car enthusiasts, it's just i'm not really plugged into those kind of things now since I just started making ceg my homepage.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)