Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Oo.et.oO:
info on wheelmax:

they have really crappy tires in their package deals. if i wanted to "upgrade" to toyo fz4 i'd end up with $1049 total shipped. they don't even offer T1-S because of the "wet traction" issues. whatever.
Jeezus people are stupid.. saying that an FZ4 has better wet traction than a T1-S.. :rolleyes: ..whatever is right..

cjbaldw: So, did you make your pick? laugh

C
cjbaldw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Silversvt:
Quote:
Originally posted by Oo.et.oO:
[b]info on wheelmax:

they have really crappy tires in their package deals. if i wanted to "upgrade" to toyo fz4 i'd end up with $1049 total shipped. they don't even offer T1-S because of the "wet traction" issues. whatever.
Jeezus people are stupid.. saying that an FZ4 has better wet traction than a T1-S.. :rolleyes: ..whatever is right..

cjbaldw: So, did you make your pick? laugh [/b]
Yo, yeah I've pretty much decided on the SSR GT1's. I'd rather spend the extra $$$ to minimize the wheel weight issue b/c I'm worried about affecting acceleration performance if I go with a heavier wheel. The ACE Spade 18" A151 wheel is 23.5 pounds for instance, compared with 17.8 pounds for the SSR GT1, which can make a big difference when it comes to rotational mass adding up. Tire weight will be somewhat higher already, like 2 pounds per tire roughly, so cutting back on the wheel weight from 19.2 pounds (E1 weight) to 17.8 pounds (SSR 18" GT1) will result in, more or less, an equally weighted wheel/tire combo when going to 18" size, which is pretty good IMHO.

I won't be making the purchase right this second (gotta wait til the end of month paycheck hits), but the decision has been made! laugh

Regards,

Craig J. Baldwin

99 SVT Contour - Silver - #49/2760

"To make a living is to get, to make a life is to give." - Winston Churchill
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by hmouta:
if i remember from recent posts, u should get 42 offset for 17x7.5 and 40 for 17x7. offsets being the lowest u should go for each width. if i had to pick, i'd go w/ the ssr. dont like the panthers at all. there are wheels that wheelmax carries that they do not list for the contour but i know fit, like the velox vx8 (4x108 17x7.5 42 offset)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think you want to to in the oposite direction with those offsets. I'd say 42mm for 7.5" width and 45mm for 7" width. remember the 6.5" width stockers are 49.5mm offset.
well, the stock wheel isn't pushed out to the edge of the fender due to 49 offset. the 7.5 needs 42 to reach the fender and the 7(being shorter than 7.5) can accomodate a lower offset of 40 to place it evenly lined up w/ the fender. if u buy a 6.5 inch wheel, (and i'm just guessing) u can probably do a 38 offset w/ little to no rubbing.

and this is without using wheel spacers.

...and yes, I did SEARCH first before asking.

AIM:omegazodiac

95 gl
99 contour svt #1750/2760
built 4/6/99
black/tan
plates, not personalized (###-REV)
amsoil series 2000 oil & filter~amsoil tranny fluid cocktail~tint: 35% windshield/front doors,20% rear window/rear doors~black oval/rear strip~nyceboi rear emblem~aussie grills~hella led sidemarkers~piaa superwhite low's~piaa extreme reverse lights~door dingless (knauberized)~hood liner removed~black '95 sail panels~trunk cargo net~mondeo hood struts~ford racing red 9mm wires~autolite double plat plugs~jensen hu~recontented dash clock(it rocks)~clifford ag4 security
T
T
Awesome choice Craig! Post drool pics next month.

Mark

*Trapps scratches head and considers yet another wheel change...

O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by hmouta:
well, the stock wheel isn't pushed out to the edge of the fender due to 49 offset. the 7.5 needs 42 to reach the fender and the 7(being shorter than 7.5) can accomodate a lower offset of 40 to place it evenly lined up w/ the fender. if u buy a 6.5 inch wheel, (and i'm just guessing) u can probably do a 38 offset w/ little to no rubbing.

and this is without using wheel spacers.
ok. i'll agree with you there.

i've been toying with writing a simple geometry calculator for wheel fitment that would mesh out the wheel well and suspension geometries and then you could give it your wheel/tire size and it'd show you where the wheel will sit.
it could get real complex real fast. but whatever, i don't have the time for that right now anyway....

:-)

Please: put something meaningful in your post subject! NOT "please readme!".
--------------------
"your" is possessive, "you're" is the conjunction that is short for "you are", "there" is for "the dictionary is over THERE", "their" is the possessive one, and "they're" is a conjunction that is short for "they are". have a nice day :rolleyes:
--------------------
Silver Frost non-E1 SVT/Contour
see my registry/profile: http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=00004623
O
O
oh yeah, the mondeo 17x7 has 38 mm offset and they don't rub if you run 215s. right?

i forgot....

Please: put something meaningful in your post subject! NOT "please readme!".
--------------------
"your" is possessive, "you're" is the conjunction that is short for "you are", "there" is for "the dictionary is over THERE", "their" is the possessive one, and "they're" is a conjunction that is short for "they are". have a nice day :rolleyes:
--------------------
Silver Frost non-E1 SVT/Contour
see my registry/profile: http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=00004623
R
R
Check classifides fist. I fyou don't like anything in there, try groupbuycenter.com. They have tire and rim deals all the time. Our cars require a 42mm offset.

1998 Silver Frost SVT
Purchased 01/10/02
Mods so far:
-Fidanza aluminum flywheel
-Clutch upgrade
-Clarion ProAudio system, DSP, 13 Band EQ

Future mods:
-Intake upgrade
-Performance plug wires
-Autolite double platinums
-Konig 18 X 7.5 Toxxin's
-Koni's and Eibach coil overs
-Rockford amps, 3 12" Rockford subs, etc..
(Just needs to be installed)
H
H
there r plenty of people running a 40 offset w/ little to no rubbing but w/ a 7inch wide. some even use 38 but do have rubbing issues.

...and yes, I did SEARCH first before asking.

AIM:omegazodiac

95 gl
99 contour svt #1750/2760
built 4/6/99
black/tan
plates, not personalized (###-REV)
amsoil series 2000 oil & filter~amsoil tranny fluid cocktail~tint: 35% windshield/front doors,20% rear window/rear doors~black oval/rear strip~nyceboi rear emblem~aussie grills~hella led sidemarkers~piaa superwhite low's~piaa extreme reverse lights~door dingless (knauberized)~hood liner removed~black '95 sail panels~trunk cargo net~mondeo hood struts~ford racing red 9mm wires~autolite double plat plugs~jensen hu~recontented dash clock(it rocks)~clifford ag4 security
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard