Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
S
Just one question, Chris, Isn't the turbo dump tube to Cat pipe going to severely reduce ground clearance? Looking at my 95 ATX, it I don't see any way you could fit the exhaust under the tranny without losing a lot of ground clearance, especially if it's a 3" pipe.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
H
H
great to see pics. is the actual turbo itself custom made (i'm not referring to the whole kit). i'll admit i dont know much. the turbos i've seen look different, like rounder. is this a different style of turbo. does it make a difference.

...and yes, I did SEARCH first before asking.

AIM:omegazodiac

95 gl
99 contour svt #1750/2760
built 4/6/99
black/tan
plates, not personalized (###-REV)
amsoil series 2000 oil & filter~amsoil tranny fluid cocktail~tint: 35% windshield/front doors,20% rear window/rear doors~black oval/rear strip~nyceboi rear emblem~aussie grills~hella led sidemarkers~piaa superwhite low's~piaa extreme reverse lights~door dingless (knauberized)~hood liner removed~black '95 sail panels~trunk cargo net~mondeo hood struts~ford racing red 9mm wires~autolite double plat plugs~jensen hu~recontented dash clock(it rocks)~clifford ag4 security
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by hmouta:
great to see pics. is the actual turbo itself custom made (i'm not referring to the whole kit). i'll admit i dont know much. the turbos i've seen look different, like rounder. is this a different style of turbo. does it make a difference.
its a garrett T-28 turbo.

Jim Hahn
1996 T-Red Contour SE
2002 Black Mazda MP5
Latest mods: sho shop off road y-pipe
M
M
Quote:
Are u alking about the turbo housing. the pixx i saw don't actually show the turbocharger itself, but the casing around it.....

ALL UR BOOST ARE BELONG TO US
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Shead:
Quote:
[b]great to see pics. is the actual turbo itself custom made (i'm not referring to the whole kit). i'll admit i dont know much. the turbos i've seen look different, like rounder. is this a different style of turbo. does it make a difference.
Are u alking about the turbo housing. the pixx i saw don't actually show the turbocharger itself, but the casing around it.....[/b]
What your looking at is a heat blanket that is wraped around the turbine side of the turbo. If you dont wrap that turbo you will burn the paint off the hood as well as burn up alot of the components around the turbo. Those things get HOT!! Why after running 70 MPH on the interstate mine has been seen to glow dull red!! wink Lotsa heat there. eek

L
L
Hmm...I had thought that big silver box was the intercooler. Oh well. Okay, question: will the turbo work if the water in the intercooler or the cooling pipes in the bumper are frozen? Or will all the pipes explode when the ice expands? If the freezing would cause a problem, I suppose that means that no one who lives in a colder climate (i.e. northern US or Canada) and wants to drive the car in the winter would be able to do this kit?

1999 SVT Contour - Silver Frost
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by LegacySHO:
Hmm...I had thought that big silver box was the intercooler. Oh well. Okay, question: will the turbo work if the water in the intercooler or the cooling pipes in the bumper are frozen? Or will all the pipes explode when the ice expands? If the freezing would cause a problem, I suppose that means that no one who lives in a colder climate (i.e. northern US or Canada) and wants to drive the car in the winter would be able to do this kit?
I thought he was reffering to the wrapping on the turbo obscureing his view of the turbo, maybe not. The coolant water used in the intercooler is a mixture of water and antifreeze just like in your radiator. More than likely you will bust the tubing in the intercooler if were to be frozen. That raises another qeustion! How do you propose to freeze the water? confused eek

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by LegacySHO:
Likely they will use automotive coolant/water in a 50/50, just like your engine uses, only in a seperate circuit with a dedicated pump.

Chris, still haven't answered my question about ground clearance, and do you have any idea what buying parts for this system would cost? Headers, Turbo downpipe, intercooler?

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
P
P
Water freezes when left outside 5 minutes about half of the year up here. frown Of course, if everything in the system is coolant/antifreeze friendly, it's not a problem.

I sure wish I could see that setup on my car someday!

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
every water to air IC I have ever seen has been designed to use a normal water/coolant mix, except of course for dedicated drag racing setups.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard