Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by perry:
There has been at least one other thread that was dedicated to this topic, and it was mentioned in several others. I suggest taking a look at those. The jist of it is, we won't consider bringing off topic back until we are sure that the DSL line can handle it.

i was just wondering, because its certain that the general forum is going to be poluted with off topics

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. Why do you need the cats when u have dogs 04 WRX - TOTALED 3-5-05 Previoius Owned: 96 Contour LX with svt kit
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
You take it with the good and the bad. These forums are quicker and have newer options. Then again I miss the old ones like you can't believe... If I were given the option to choose between the old and the new, I would take the old ones, no doubt. However, screw the Off Topic man, too many flame wars in there...

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Personally, I didn't donate to the CEG to shoot the bull with people. It's Contour information I'm after, not what some perv thinks of Brittany, Christina, J-Lo or some other talentless eye candy.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Dittos to BigMoney

1998.5 SE Sport - V6, 5sp, no mods - yet......
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Personally, I didn't donate to the CEG to shoot the bull with people. It's Contour information I'm after, not what some perv thinks of Brittany, Christina, J-Lo or some other talentless eye candy.

J-Lo eye candy? More like weightwatchers model... That bumper has to be downsized man!!!

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by nitros:
i was just wondering, because its certain that the general forum is going to be poluted with off topics
Not if Perry can help it!

Milan obviously didn't go into OT that much because flame-wars were the rarity. BigMoney is also retarded if he thinks OT was about only about his favorite singers and the subject of the posters lining the walls of his room.

And you'd better be nice or Britney will come here and post, herself...

And now, for some substance: Cry all you want. Ask where the extra two grand went. Reason all you want. It won't do any good. Believe me, I've tried. I'll keep trying, though. The very best answer I've gotten is "Some form of off topic will likely return. We've been clear about that. We are first trying to ascertain whether we have the bandwidth to support that. With new forum software and a new internet connection, only time will tell." It's not a bad answer, but it still doesn't answer any questions. If the forums are lightning fast, even for dial-up users, how much more traffic will one forum create? And will it be enough traffic to slow the forums to less than their original speed last month? These are all good questions. Unfortunately, they're going unanswered.

The point is then brought up that the Off Topic forum was a waste, populated with children looking for an alternative to Instant Messenger and an avenue to cause trouble. Most members who bing up these issues spent little-to-no time in OT and never had a chance to meet those intelligent members who populated that forum. Topics ranged from "how to build a computer" to "what can I expect if I join the Marine Corps" to "what's the best way to work out to achieve the goals I want." Now, go to IBM and ask them how to build a computer. They'll tell you not to waste your time and buy one of theirs. Go to your USMC recruiter and ask what to expect from the USMC. He'll tell you it's great and everyone should do it. Go to a body-building website and ask what's the best way to exercise. Good luck.

The point is that we have many members with a wide variety of experiences and hobbies and there's no reason why these valuable points of referrance should go to waste. If you want a site dedicated to Contours and don't want to read anything other than Contour-related material, DON'T GO INTO THE OFF TOPIC FORUM! It's not that bloody hard.

Some people might think this post is my way of being a pain in someone's ass. Think again. I want what's best for the site and if someone is an ass to me, personally, he gets whatever I feel like dishing out and shouldn't whine about it to anyone else. If you're old, you might remember my original opinion that an OT forum was a mistake. My frame of referrance extended to ClubSi, which was originally a Si-only website. When their OUT THERE forum was introduced, it ruined the site due to the immaturity of the members and those frequenting that forum. It changed. It's now a decently healthy forum for asking questions, getting unbiased opinions, and sharing information. CEG never had those initial problems due to the heightened maturity level of its members. My fears were unfounded and I began to enjoy the freedom that the Off Topic forum presented. Those freedoms were rarely abused and, if occasion arose, those abusing were promptly put in their place. I don't see a downside.

If you do, let me know.

D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Good post Josh,

I agree with most of your sentiments, but I will give Lance, Perry, and Andy the benefit of the doubt for now. What I would like to see is some charts detailing usage compared to available bandwidth and then maybe a graph comparing the used bandwidth of the old site with the OT in place. Bandwidth is a pretty simple thing to measure and track, so I have no doubt that the likes of Perry and Lance will have no trouble providing the info if they choose to do so.

I suppose we will just wait and see.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Every forum needs an Off0-Topic Section.

Information about Contours is what BRINGS people to this site, but the off topic forum KEEPS them here.

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by sweetsvt99:

Information about Contours is what BRINGS people to this site, but the off topic forum KEEPS them here.

I came here for information about Contours... I stayed because of the regional section... can't say I ever had any interest in the OT section.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

I agree that it's the Tour info that I come here for. However, it was clear that some people felt comfortable with bringing certain aspects of their personal lives here, which means the CEG is more than just info. I wish we still had an outlet on this site where we could shoot the shat, but if it's too troublesome for the mods and whatnot, then there's nothing we can do about it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard