Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by Bob Blaylock:
Of course, that announcement was put up before the big, highly-successful fund-raising effort, when Lance thought that what would remain of the CEG would be limited to what he could pay for out of his own pocket. One of the members came up with a way to save the CEG, if we could raise $2,500 in donations. Speaking for myself, I took this to mean that the CEG could be saved in more or less the form it had existed in before. We raised not just the $2,500, but over $4,300, if I remember correctly. It appears, however, that in spite of this, Lance is still going ahead with only a stripped-down version of the CEG, a mere shadow of what it was before. I felt bad about not donating to the effort myself, but financial conditions at that time were very much unfavorable for me. In hindsight, I am now glad I didn't donate, as I would certainly now have been left feeling that I got something very much less than I would have thought I was paying for.

Wow, that's quite an accusation you're making there.

I love how people talk like they know how it is.

A "mere shadow of what it was before"... you seem to be good at exaggeration, too. Just because we're missing OT for now, it's a "mere shadow.." I guess all the other stuff here is just useless junk, lowly drivel, utter crap. I mean, this is a Contour/Mystique site -- why would we want to discuss our cars?

Does it make sense to ANYONE that we would wait to see how the new connection and software panned out before adding the off topic section????

There is a loud proponent group for the OT section...but believe it or not, the majority (as in numbers) of the people I've talked to/chatted with/PM'ed don't seem to be missing it.

OT will return, but it won't be an anything-goes forum. It, too, will be geared towards helping people.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I'd love to see the off-topic forum come back. Most people come here to find info about the vehicles. That's great. But there's a lot of great people here, friendly, knowledgable, etc., who you might never find out about if not for an off-topic forum. Cars are a very small part of my overall interests, and it's nice to be able to have a forum where you can discuss those. There have been great discussions on sports, current events, movies, hell, even home furnishings a month or so ago when Toadster was doing some remodeling... 8 CEG members decided to start a fantasy baseball league on Yahoo...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Bring it back. Moderate the bejeezus out of it, whatever you have to do to keep the trolls out. Just my $.02...

2000 SVT Contour -- SOLD! New car coming soon... 1980 Triumph TR7 -- Needs a new home...
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
In reply to:

Does it make sense to ANYONE that we would wait to see how the new connection and software panned out before adding the off topic section????

Absolutely. Read the posts again. People seem to be taking a wait and see approach and most seem to be satisfied with the possibility of its return. They are just stating that they found it to be a valuable part of the site. Some consider it the most valuable.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I concur with infuryum, dnewm04 and sweetsvt99 and 00SVT. OT is great but this is getting beaten to death, when Lance is comfortable that the DSL line can handle the bandwidth and that threads won't get out-of-hand, I'm sure he'll bring it back. It was there for a reason in the first place.

Last edited by HBFS; 08/21/02 09:58 PM.

Tony 98.5 SVT Black/Blue As Thomas Jefferson was fond of saying, The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. If you're driving 60 in the left lane do us all a favor, GTFOOTW..
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by 00SVT:
Moderate the bejeezus out of it, whatever you have to do to keep the trolls out.

O
Admin + 1/2
Admin + 1/2
O
Originally posted by infuryum:

And now, for some substance: Cry all you want. Ask where the extra two grand went. Reason all you want. It won't do any good. Believe me, I've tried. I'll keep trying, though.

You're making a pretty big accusation there considering you were gone while most of this happened and you don't have the facts. The extra two grand that you are basically insinuating is being used for purposes other than the site, is actually being put in a savings account to be used towards funding the site next year. What has really begun to piss me off is the fact that so many people shoot their mouths off without getting the facts.

I used to frequent OT constantly on the old site because I knew Lance didn't always have the time. In the beginning it was fine, but the last several months it was 90% junk and the 10% useful stuff got lost in the junk. Unfortunately the maturity of the forum dropped.

Yes, one forum can really make a difference if it is high traffic. On the old site the number of people visiting was constantly between 250-300 at a time and the highest we've had here is around 85. So when we return to those numbers the amount of forums we have could impact the speed of the site. Lance has never said he absolutely won't reinstate off topic, he has just said that he wants to wait and see how things go first. When it does return it won't be an anything goes forum either.

-Christy

Christy Kinley 95 Contour SE MTX 01 Outback Limited Wagon with all the goodies
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I would hate to see what you guys would of done 2 years ago when there wasnt half of this stuff(including OT). Ceg has come a long way since ive been here and i must say im happy with what i see. Do i miss Ot kinda but not really. If it comes back cool, If not Ohh well.

Team Evo Staz: You know why they call it Skunkworks? Everyone: Why? Staz: Because everything that comes out of it stinks!!! Steeda-I hate you stazi
N
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
N
my o my what have i started, plz dont hate me.
guy come on no need to fight of nothing. As lance and perry said. they are going to see how things work out, if all goes well it will be bak.

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. Why do you need the cats when u have dogs 04 WRX - TOTALED 3-5-05 Previoius Owned: 96 Contour LX with svt kit
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I don't really miss OT that much. It was a huge waste of Bandwidth at least in the end. If/when it is reinstated it's will need about 3-4 mods to keep the maturity level on par with the rest of the site, www.off-topic.net is a great substitue if you need immaturity and drivel.

Lee Cox No Contours to speak of...
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
You're accusing me of making an accusation? I most certainly did nothing of the sort. I didn't even really ask a question. I'm just as curious as the next person as to what happens with funding, bandwidth, etc. Don't turn it into a personal attack because it wasn't. You're trying to start a flame war when you're so adamantly against their avenue of creation. Take a step back, stop being a victim, and be as forthcoming as you can with the members regarding the CEG they've come to know and appreciate. I can't tell you how many times I've asked people what happened in my absence. NO ONE will tell me and I, ergo, have no reason to change my behavior or any reason to believe the website should be any different from before. You, following the stereotype, accuse me of not having "the facts" without relating them, and then expect me to have the same information you do when speaking my opinion. Get real.

I never made any assumptions or presupposition regarding the speed of the site. I asked questions. You've answered them, to a degree. Case closed. I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of it. If it seems like I'm throwing all this back in your face, it's for good reason since your entire post was griping about things I'd said. If my questions or opinion really bother you that much, feel free to hit me up on PM or AIM to discuss them away from the light of the public.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard