Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S

I just picked up an extra set of SVT heads and cams for my 3L swap. I was wondering how hard it is to cold time these heads on a 3L short block? Any insight on this process??? I just want to know what I'll be getting into when I do my swap. Kinda stressing it........

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
B
Learned patience the hard way
B
Well, timing on these is pretty simple. Just follow the instructions on the ford CD and/or you might have to refer to the TSB on cam timing if that doesn't work. The TSB is 98-25-14 and refers to timing flags being mismarked on the 2.5 Duratec. Basically you just line up the marks on the cams and chains and count the links to make sure you've got it right.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I need the Ford CD for sure then! I have a Chiltons and it's vauge as $hit. Thanks for the info Rick!

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Yeah, just time match up the copper link to the timing mark (not the arrows) to the cam, and to the crank then you'll be all set.

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Well, timing on these is pretty simple. Just follow the instructions on the ford CD and/or you might have to refer to the TSB on cam timing if that doesn't work. The TSB is 98-25-14 and refers to timing flags being mismarked on the 2.5 Duratec. Basically you just line up the marks on the cams and chains and count the links to make sure you've got it right.

Rick

are these mismarked on all years of the 2.5?

~nick 2001 Cougar V6 MTX 3L Cougar.
B
B
Not necesarily but you won't know until you try timing it by their method and the flags don't line up. However the TSB works either way if the flags are mismarked or not.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
You might have to pay attension when you're disassembling the engine too as some of the marks can be worn off and make it difficult to find them when you're putting it back together. If you want to know for sure, get a degree wheel and take some measurements. 'Tis the only true way to know just in case you have chain slop... Degree wheels are cheap insurance...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I tried timing the engine before on my own.... I ended up breaking the darn tensioner... that's the little device that uses oil pressure to push a mini piston out with a plastic clip.... to this day i still don't know how you work that little gizmo gadget

2000 Cougar V6 MTX 2001 3.0L Swap w/ PnP Heads - It ran, it boomed, it RUNS AGAIN Nearly all suspension mods Big ass stereo ...and more... See Her Here
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
There's a small hole on the side where you can see the teeth of the adjuster. Press those down with a small screw driver, then squeaze the piston down with a small vice (warning, do not queaze the plastic clip that pulls the adjuster teeth out, it will break). Push the plastic clip in with you finger. Once it's puched in far enough, use a bent paper clip to go in front of the adjustment teeth. With the paper clip in place, slowly release tension off of the adjustment piston. I could make a video of it if you like...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Everything would be a lot more clear if you get yourself one of those powertrain training video. I got a set of those, watched it (even though the tape was scratched, talk about dizziness from watching that tape), and I had absolutely no problem timing the engine. It's totally different than reading the manual because when you watch the video you see how it's done exactly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard