Well, I guess I'll throw my $0.02 here.

Terry is certainly right, that the typical failure mode is in the rod end bearings. I do think there are a couple of inherent issues issues that lead to it though. Primarily is exactly as terry has described it, crank whip allows the bearing to "wipe" which distorts the surface layer of the bearing, which blocks/partially blocks the oiling hole in the bearing, which ultimately leads to the failure of the rod bearing. The secondary part of the equation here is the oiling system. When oil pressure drops off (when the pump can't pick up any more oil, even before the rest of the system runs dry, pressure starts to drop off) it makes the bearing more susceptible to crank whip (less oil pressure to maintain the oil film lubricating the bearing) because when the crank whips (flexes) it can increase the pressure loading on the bearing tremendously, forcing the oil out from in between the crank journal and the rod bearing, causing the wiped bearing, leading to the failure.

Basically, crank whip is the major issue, and the oiling stuff can simply help it along faster.

As far as Terry, he is certainly a capable engineer, and is capable of performing excellent work on his customer's vehicles. Where I feel Terry is lacking, is in "people skills", which makes misunderstandings too easy and common, leading to a lot of bad blood where none needed to be. As an example, I'm pretty sure Terry hates me because he chose to misintrepret some of my words/actions when he had a disagreement w/ a customer here on the forums, and I was forced to step in to do my job as an admin.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net