Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#653464 06/06/03 09:40 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Spec I Clutches are great setups and I would honestly take one over the stage II. Why would I do that? Because the steel backed organic material is awsome because it holds up against higher heat conditions, it resists tearing and bursting from hihg RPM abuse, it has a great life span with "spirited driving".......what else can I say about steel backed organic lining??

It's better than kevlar IMO, and I would sleep better at night having a stage I over a stage II personally. The kevlar will be like normal organic lining, and won't surpass it's holding power/bite. Kevlar WILL keep your precious fidanza flywheels much safer as it bites into the metal much less

If you look at who uses kevlar clutches the very most out of anyone in the world it'd be semi trucks and tractors, mainly for the reasons I've stated. With a kevlar clutch disc you will have a much longer flywheel and pressure plate life span. You will also have a worthless non-abrassive clutch disc if any oil product comes into contact with it.

IMO, everyone who is putting more power out than it did factory should start shopping for the very best clutch for them so they know what they need and know what is overkill for their car. The clutch is one of the most important components in your car and needs some research done towards putting the right one in your car. Don't read the manufactures web site and take waht they say to be true, take it with a grain of salt. Also do your own research into materials, different setups used, ect and you will know what to get and whjat not to get.

Last edited by Swazo; 06/06/03 09:47 PM.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#653465 06/07/03 04:59 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Just thought I'd throw in that my stock SVT clutch held the power of my turbo that night at the track. It was well broke-in of course and had about 15K miles on it from the 3L already. I don't think it would have held with consistent back to back runs at the strip with the intercooled turbo, but it held fine for a run up through the gears. In my opinion, NO car on here needs more than the stock clutch unless they are high torque 3L, Turbo or S/C 3L. The only real damage to my stock clutch was the wear and tear on the springs in the hub. Too soft for continued 3L abuse. I'd bet the spec stage 2 is all I'd ever have needed, but I used the "P" for plenty rule here and got the big boy stage 3.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I had my Centerforce DF for almost a year now, 21000kms(13000miles) and no problems. I'm still in love with my setup just like I was a year ago when I installed the Centerforce+Fidanza+Quaife. In the last year I've raced and bagged the hell out of my car, not to mention that I do long trips on the highway (4-5hr) with the odd drop the car a gear or two and punch it to redline thru every gear until the car bounces off the governor at 112mph to keep things interesting and stay awake.
My car is normally aspirated with the mods in my sig, so Iā??m not running nowhere near the max hp/tq claimed by the manufacturer. IF you want advice listen to guys that had the clutch in their cars for a while with the same mods as on your car, not from the guys that never tested the clutch on their own vehicles and are assuming Centerforce/Spec's perfromance based on material made from. I don't care what is my clutch made of as long it works and is problem free for the average life span of most performance clutches.
I give Centerforce 2 thumbs up

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by bamf2go:
Originally posted by Rahmel:
Originally posted by Rahmel:
guys, i need someone to drop some knowledge on me, i'm tryin to understand this convo here and it sounds like this spec clutch is cool but who is it by? is it by Clutch Masters or Unorthodox or something i see the Unorthodox has a stage one and two as well as Clutch Masters, but what are the hp/tq ratings on these Spec clutches? if i keep my car, i plan on runnin between 275-300 hp (3Lw/vortech, and MAYBE a 35-50dry shot from Nitrous Express just to hit the 300hp mark at the wheels) i'm not sure what the tq will be, but i'm sorry for my ignorance in this but i just wanna know who makes this spec clutch and where i can check the spec clutches out at? i think i may need a mild version of it (street and strip? i'm not sure, i need to read up on it) sorry again guys

thanks guys !!!

Jeez Luis...you have no right to be getting upset here my man. If you did a search for spec clutches in the forum or just went to the spec website (which you could find by typing in "Spec clutches" in a google search, than you'd have found everything you are asking for. Its not by clutchmasters or unorthodox, its by SPEC Inc., they are their own man. You can check them out at their companies website which I just provided and if you go to spmotorsports.com they provide plenty of information as well.

thank you very much

I'M RICK JAMES BITC#!!!!!!!!!!!!
B
bamf2go Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
No problem, however as compensation for my help you will have to give me your car.

1998 black Contour SVT E0 -KKM Intake -B&M Short Shifter -SPARCO front strut tower bar -24mm Aussie rear sway bar
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by abwamo:
........IF you want advice listen to guys that had the clutch in their cars for a while with the same mods as on your car, not from the guys that never tested the clutch on their own vehicles and are assuming Centerforce/Spec's perfromance based on material made from. I don't care what is my clutch made of as long it works and is problem free for the average life span of most performance clutches.
I give Centerforce 2 thumbs up

I've had a lot of experience dealing with centerforce and I will always try to get people to avoid them because of it. You aren't pushing that much power, so I'm not shocked it's still grabbing. So for those not planning of ever seeing any power in the 200+ range, Centerforce is the clutch for you......if that's what you want. Hell, if you are over 200hp or TQ....go for it. Just don't complain when it fails.

I've also had a lot of experience with differnt clutch materials, so of course I'm going to speak up when I know what a specific clutch material can do and what it can't do.

For the owners of Centerforce (or anyone really..) that don't care for what I have to say about them, prove me wrong

Last edited by Swazo; 06/10/03 12:23 AM.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I now dub you the clutch god, being as you know everything there is to know about clutches

B
bamf2go Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
If anyone else would like to discuss materials or personal experiences with clutches, please post here. Otherwise this is kind of a dead thread.

1998 black Contour SVT E0 -KKM Intake -B&M Short Shifter -SPARCO front strut tower bar -24mm Aussie rear sway bar
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
I now dub you the clutch god, being as you know everything there is to know about clutches

Originally posted by Swazo:
......prove me wrong

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Swazo:

For the owners of Centerforce (or anyone really..) that don't care for what I have to say about them, prove me wrong

I'm not trying to prove anyone is wrong or right, but there is plenty of guys here with CenterforceDF on their cars and have some kind of power adder (TC,SC,N2O) or 3L. haven't heard any of those guys complain about their clutch slipping.
You say that you tried centerforce before: was that on a Contour or SC/TC'ed Contour, if you did i may have bought the wrong clutch because i'm planning to get a TC/SC in the near future. If you didn't, you proved yourself wrong because you never tried the clutch on a 200+ hp/tq Contour before. Unless there is someone out here that will speak out about his/her Centerforce clutch slipping problem on a charged Tour and proves you right.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard