Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
As shocking as it may be, Centerforce makes clutches for many other cars than just Contiques. Their clutches have a high failure rate with more powerful platforms. Nothing about them makes them worth the extra money even with a good record with our cars considering you can get much better quality for much less money. As the market grows for our cars, the Centerforce becomes even more over priced.

If more people would take it apon themselves to actually look into them, then I wouldn't take so much heat for bringing up their track record. Don't kill the messenger

Last edited by Swazo; 06/11/03 06:58 AM.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Swazo:
Nothing about them makes them worth the extra money even with a good record with our cars considering you can get much better quality for much less money.

...and that is the moral of the story...

You can get much better for much less so why buy the overpriced, under performing Centerforce! There is no logical answer!

Then throw in the fact the SPEC has a custom pressure plate (the one weak spot of the SVT setup!) and that's even a greater reason against it.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
With the Centerforce being pure junk, stazi must have absolutely destroyed his.

Stazi would you like to chime in on your JUNK old clutch

of course you changed yours already right? (stazi)

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
My clutch is pefectly fine. I'm putting down a good amount of power through it too, proabably around 260+hp so far and it dhasn't missed a step. I have over 8000 miles on it and not one complaint. The pedal feel is the same as stock. It grabs nicely and never slips - ever.

In hindsight, maybe a Spec would've been cheaper, but I HATE the chatter/rattle they make. It make you car sound like a tractor. Dave had one in his SVT and it sounds like crap at idle.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:

Dude, you're taking this a bit too personal

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Swazo:

Dude, you're taking this a bit too personal

yeah I guess I am.. rest assured I'm in theropy, I don't think its working though, DAMN EGO!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Whatever floats your boat

Back on topic, I wonder if the "heavy duty" PP that Spec has makes it a tad more harsh? Do all the different stages of Spec use the same PP, or are they stage specific?
My guess: the higher the stage from Spec, the "harsher" it'll get. But from what the stage II and III owners have said, it sounds like the chatters begin to go away with break in time and actually getting used to their new clutch.

Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
I have an 81 nissan 280zx (my personal yet slow race car) it puts down about 180 hp all motor (modified i assure you) and i have the center force dual friction clutch. i can tell you that over 60,000 miles and over 4-5 years it has held beautifully.... although not anywhere near the limits of the clutch i havent been anywhere near nice to it, 6000rpm cluch drops, high rpm shifts, hard downshits, and long runs that tax clutches. ive had not so much as a peep from it. now granted the pedal has started to go soft, the clutch it self still has not started to slip but that may not be far off.

Either way in low to moderate power situation i would say that they are not bad clutches and actually they are damn good for most contour owners you will never hurt them...

also high powered dsm are known for shreding clutches (and although yours was "lighty moded" id bet that you were putting down close to 250-275hp) all wheel drive, porky car and a small diameter cluch something has to give....

-Y2K SVT- BORN 1/03/2000 DIED 02/29/2004
B
bamf2go Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Hmm, how about this noise, is no one else concerned with the fact that the centerforce makes no noise while the spec clutches are known for having an audible chatter?

1998 black Contour SVT E0 -KKM Intake -B&M Short Shifter -SPARCO front strut tower bar -24mm Aussie rear sway bar
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by bamf2go:
Hmm, how about this noise, is no one else concerned with the fact that the centerforce makes no noise while the spec clutches are known for having an audible chatter?

To quote myself answering this question already asked (actually trying to be used as a slam against a near race clutch )

Originally posted by DemonSVT:
I heard that annoying chatter goes away after the break in period anyways.. I hope anyways.

It's the Sintered Metal Stage 3 clutch that has the chattering.
It's been known to do it during the break in period of this clutch and only if you are gently slipping the clutch. That's not a big surprise considering this is pretty much a strip/racing clutch.
It has an obscene rating for a FWD of 440 lb/ft of TQ. You could probably count the number of Contiques on zero hands that have close to that much TQ.

As for the Centerforce or any other clutch set using the stock pressure plate... I can easily make the stock clutch slip by overpowering the pressure plate springs. It's happened countless times! This is the biggest reason why I say the SPEC clutch sets are so far superior to all others. It's the only one with a stronger (~+50%) spring pressure on the plate then stock! That says a lot all by itself.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard