Tour de Mace:

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 98 Contour LX and it is at the repair shop right now. My best friend owns a shop and has high end computer scanning equipment. (Snap On MODIS) This is the diagnosis on my car right now.

I need 2 oxygen sensors, both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and my fuel filter is pretty nasty as well. I'm also having new dbl platinum plugs and a set of wires thrown on since I'm just over 70K now.

So, realistically, the diagnosis you got wasn't all that bad. As for the IAC issue, you may just have to go with what your mechanic is telling you. I had that replaced this past summer and mine is not having problems right now. Hope that helps to ease your mind on whether or not you're getting railed.

Also don't believe that B.S. about the precats unless they took them off the car and examined them thoroughly, which they didn't.

So in the long run, it's an expensive mess and it looks like many contours are experiencing these issues all at the same time, but look at the bright side... at least you can do some of your own work. I can't do anything except change a tire

However, the good news is that the extended warranty company is going to eat it big time on this one!