Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by 00SVT:
A good general rule is this: total up all the money you spend on modifications and multiply the sum by zero. That's what you normally get back.

I agree totally with that statement. Take your wheels and sell them...make sure you list them on the NECO and Focus boards as well. The stereo is probably real nice...but again..you probably can get more out of it selling it seperate.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yeah, just take anything of worth that you added on to the car and keep it because it isn't going to be worth much if anything to a buyer.

98' Contour SVT #607 of 6535 05' Mazda 6s Audio/Visual enthusiast because it's one of the many things I went through 4 years of hell for
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well, this horse looks pretty dead, but that never stopped me before.

Funny thing is I saw this listing yesterday, just window shopping, and my first thought was that I'd have to sell the rims, and rip out all the heavy audio equipment. Then I saw the bit about the paint. Every car I've ever seen on E-bay that advertises "fresh paint" has turned out to be bent in some way. The first question on everyone's mind is, "Why do you have fresh paint?" and what they are thinking is "How bad of a wreck was it?"

Look at some other listings. The ones that impress are the ones where there is a lot of information, good and bad. Lay it out there. Take lots of pictures, esp. of defects and such, because honestly, things seldom look as bad as they sound in words.

Anyway, I think the advice about selling the rims separately is a good one. They'll go for more than they will add to this car, and this car will be more likely to sell.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by 00SVT:
A good general rule is this: total up all the money you spend on modifications and multiply the sum by zero.

Yuppers.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
The reason it was repainted was because it was keyed down the sides and since i paint for a living i thought i would modify the color just a little bit and repaint it. After i panted it i color sanded the paint down so it ishas a better reflection. For you who don't know what color sanding is i'll explain. When you paint a car or get a car from the factory the paint comes out of the paint guns a little rough, if you look close into the reflection it is like the skin of an orange hense the name orange peel. Well if you sand that down with super fine sand paper and then do a series of rubbing compounds with a high speed buffer gives you back the shine after sanding. It increases the luster in the paint and becomes very smooth. It is a must if you don't live on a dirt road. If you are wondering if your car has orange peel. Look into the relfection in the shade and look at your hand for example and you will see little bumps like an orange. Most likely you do unless someone forked out some money to get it done. I just thought i would elaborate a little. But getting back to the paint. The paint job is perfect. The car has never been hit or anything like that.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Bro..no one's debating the point that it is probably a perfect paintjob. Its just that most times "New paint" equals "accident"...

Since you live in sunny CA...I'd hit all the car shows/demos every weekend with a big fat "For-Sale" sign in it. Maybe get someone excited who wants to get into a customized car...but doesn't have the time or the skills.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Sitin on 19's:
The reason it was repainted was because it was keyed down the sides and since i paint for a living i thought i would modify the color just a little bit and repaint it. After i panted it i color sanded the paint down so it ishas a better reflection. For you who don't know what color sanding is i'll explain. When you paint a car or get a car from the factory the paint comes out of the paint guns a little rough, if you look close into the reflection it is like the skin of an orange hense the name orange peel. Well if you sand that down with super fine sand paper and then do a series of rubbing compounds with a high speed buffer gives you back the shine after sanding. It increases the luster in the paint and becomes very smooth. It is a must if you don't live on a dirt road. If you are wondering if your car has orange peel. Look into the relfection in the shade and look at your hand for example and you will see little bumps like an orange. Most likely you do unless someone forked out some money to get it done. I just thought i would elaborate a little. But getting back to the paint. The paint job is perfect. The car has never been hit or anything like that.

Great! And that's the kind of info that a potential buyer needs, especially on ebay. You could say that you are a pro, and talk about the fact that the car was keyed, and that the job is a pro job, including the final sanding procedure, etc. That's what sells cars on ebay.

I still say lose the rims, or offer them separately.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I think most people who buy on ebay bid low, to allow for the "uncertainty factory" of a car they have not seen, not driven, etc. I bought my mystique on ebay, and it was described as perfect, needs nothing, flawless, new brakes, new.............etc. It was all lies, and I've spent a lot of money, and huge amounts of time, trying to get it to the condition that it was described as being when I bought it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your car is like that. I'm just saying the uncertainty factor would make me bid less than what I would pay if I could actually see and test drive the car.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I would put everything you wrote about the paint job in on ebay! I buy a lot off ebay and that would definitely sell me on it! It would more than justify a new paint job and add value to the car.

By the way what are you looking to get for the rims?? pm me

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard