Originally posted by zgendron:
If so, do you believe that slavery is not a sin? I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but I have yet to understand how some people accept parts of the bible, but dismiss others. I know this arguement has been used on both sides of the discussion. But seriously, do you believe that Slavery is not a sin?

In addition, do you ever work on the Sabbath? The bible clearly states this is a day for rest and that those who work should be put to death. How do you feel about emergency and police crews that work then. Or anyone else that works on the Sabbath? I won't go quoting any more passages as I think you get my point. What do you think?

Slavery in Biblical times was entirely different. People would sell themselves into slavery for periods of 3-5 years to pay off their debts. There was none of this marching into Africa and grabbing people bullsh!t. In my opinion, slavery, especially the kind America and Europe were guilty of violates several Biblical principles.

As for working on the Sabbath, Jesus said something about how its OK to go help your animals if they fall into a pit on the Sabbath and how there can be exceptions to the no working on Sabbath rule. He healed people on the Sabbath and when people gave him attitude about it he said it was OK to do that. So, according to my interpretation, emergency and police crews who work on Sabbath are not violating any Biblical principles.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97