Some folks are project oriented. They've just gotta be tinkering, no matter what car they own.

I'm still the first and only owner of my 96, and I don't see myself getting rid of it, though I have been tempted. There are a lot of nice rwd cars out now with decent hp, whereas there really weren't that many just a couple of years ago. And those 90's BMWs are getting more affordable. And Porsches.

Funny thing is, I see the same types of people on the PCA boards. People with garage queens that they'll never get rid of, much less drive, and people with one driver and one project.

Anyway, I see a lot of banged up GLs out there, and the rare, early SE that's actually in decent shape. I see the same thing with 914's, 924's, and 944's. I've even seen some ragged out 911's. The most common compliment I get from people is that they were sure my car was newer, maybe a 2000 model.

I don't know. Maybe it will be in my family until it disintegrates. Maybe when it's no longer roadworthy, it's time for the stripped interior and the roll cage. Maybe I'll keep it running and pass it on to my kids when they start driving in 8 years. Should have a fine patina by then.

And whoever compared this car to the Tempaz...

First of all, believe it or not, there are Tempaz enthusiasts.

Secondly, this car is not born of the Tempaz, but of the Sierra/XR4Ti. There are very few clean examples left, but they are out there, and people hang onto them. And they still get parts.

Does the average person know what this car is?

Funny thing, one of my coworkers just bought a 98 Contour with the V-6 and MTX for her daughter. Her comment? "Gosh, it's pretty quick. I was surprised." Surprised? You're buying the car and you didn't know?

Anyway, who cares about the average person. Car enthusiasts recognize the Contour, and that's why it will live forever.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998