Thanks for checking in on me Bob.
When I cancel overdrive, I get engine braking as I should but in 2nd gear since a shift to 3rd rarely ever takes place. When I leave overdrive active, (Light off), I can run the car up to 60 mph or so, (5000-6000 rpm) then let off and the car coasts as designed (TCC unlocks). While coasting down I can tap the OD cancel button say at 50 mph. The shift solenoid signals set properly, (as observed on my monitor LED's), I will feel 3rd gear pull in, then within 2 seconds, 2nd gear locks in with heavy engine braking of course.
***I also want to note this: In a nominal acceleration test, say going from stop to a steady and holding 45mph, 1st then 2nd gear shift smooth and normally. Then as you hold at 45mph, you can feel an occasional (say every 3 to 10 seconds) forward pull or bump from the drive train and observe a slight "dip" in RPM's which I believe is the third gear shift attempting to engage. I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT WHY IT WON'T GO ON AND HAPPEN !!!
Don't mean to sound frustrated, but I really am.
Any more thoughts?
Thanks,
Greg

Bought a 98 Contour SVT off ebay for $430.00 (missing: all lower body panels, entire exhaust, wheels,and headlights) Going through the pains of getting it on the road for my son this spring (2006).