• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Cooler

Hi Gary; I checked the pipework and it seems
fine.

here's the rad

sandwich

and the block

see anything out of place ? ... G.

q: 2 smaller cores instead of 1 larger core? better or space conscious?
If you remove the air directors from the outboard ends of the lower cooling slot, you could place two small oil coolers on either side of the radiator, and then they don't dump oil heat into the radiator air stream.

The disadvantages I can think of are mounting two coolers instead of one, twice the plumbing, twice the potential leaks - there are always tradeoffs.

depends on the size. there really is plenty of room in the radiator/power steering and all the heat exchanging section down there. i usually use a 2 inch think by something like 6 inches by like 12/13 and it fits well. i was just asking the opinion of 2 smaller cores like shown on the sho.

i was just asking the opinion of 2 smaller cores like shown on the sho.
The two cores on the SHO, one is for engine oil, the other (far right) is for the transaxle. Quaife differential + road racing + heavy car + lots of horsepower = boiled transmission fluid unless there's a pump and cooler.

how much of a drop do those cores apply?
Pressure drop? Negligible, a few psi at worst. These types of flat plate coolers have multiple parallel paths on the fluid side, they're very low pressure drop and quite efficient at heat transfer. The SHO's oil cooler is 24 row, 24 parallel paths, and it will keep the oil at 225F on Willow Springs' big track at 95F+ ambient, that's on a supercharged 3.2L putting 410 HP to the tires. I used the same 24-row cooler for the transaxle with a 2.5GPM Tilton diff pump, and it's blazing overkill, I could probably use a 12-row cooler here.

the current ideal cooler setup with thermostatic plate is going to cost 325 for the whole setup. i remember getting away cheaper last time but the thermo plate is a better and more expensive this time around. one thing i am considering is going w a generic core to cut the cost nearly 100 bucks. the mocal and earls units 19 row, may be a little overkill but i can fit it are 188 ish. generic are 50 ish. ideally i want to the same brand etc, ive noticed that some brands dont play well together. ive gotten some hose that doesnt quite fit some ends as well as others. pribably done on purpose. wisdom?

The Mocal, Earls and Setrab coolers are nice, but I've used the Dana Tru-Cool flat plate units many times with great success and reliability, and they're a good bit less expensive.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/TRU_Cool_Oil_Coolers

With the Tru-Cool units, use pipe dope (not Teflon tape) on the adapter fitting threads, and be sure to use a back-up wrench on the fitting hex coming out of the cooler, it's all soft, brazed Aluminum, and you can bend it out of shape pretty easily.

those are pretty much alot cheaper. 1/3 the price. that was the same website i was going to order from. had everything in the basket already.

you are talking about the fitting that comes in these cores already? the 1/2 npt?

i dont have one of those. guess ill get one. is it like using a combo wrench that have a tendency to sort of strip when you should get a full socket on em?

'Back-up wrench' is just a phrase. You want to use a wrench, such as an adjustable wrench on the flats of the cooler's fitting while you tighten the adapter fitting into the cooler. The back-up wrench absorbs the fitting torque so it doesn't stress where the cooler's fitting is brazed into the core.

Those things look ginormous... how would you fit that anywhere other than something industrial.
Yeah, the smallest one is 1" to 1&5/8" nut flats, they're for holding the nuts on big industrial pipe flanges so one operator can torque the bolts without an assistant, you'd probably find these in an oil field or refinery mech's tool chest.

something awesome about nuts... and bolts that size. i have a whole stash of 3/4 bolts w something around inch plus size hex head on em for my rear overkill upgrade.

i just got my order from racer parts and i have several issued with it. they screwed up the adapter fittings, theyll need to resend the right ones. also the mocal plate came with an adapter/extension nipple for a non svt contour. a problem. i have the die but that doesnt quite help. they sell brass pipe in 3/4 inch which is smaller than m22 so i cant make it myself. i am assuming non svts have a m22 filter adapter for the block to the filter? ive never seen these anywhere in any diagram. words of wisdom again?

Back