• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need help with throttle body

The speed cable is kind of short though, doesn't really reach the module do I may have to move the module or just solder in the longer end so it reaches. I never soldered cables though so idk if it's any different than copper or whatever.
look on you tube .... they'll be a vid of someone doing it.

Raywagner132 said:
I'm still looking at the vacuum stuff..can't figure out the heater core because there is two pipes for hoses and I know one goes to the water pump but can't figure out the other one. Also idk which one is the one that goes to the water pump. On rock auto it says one goes to the intake, so I'm guess it's some sort of vacuum line?
remembering the 3L threads I found after typing vacuum in the search box ... the large vac connection on the intake is where your cougar vac tree is connected to .... but check for yourself. The other water pipe for the heater matrix I believe goes to the aluminium water manifold above the tranny... uinder the 2.5L TB position. If you put the water pump hose on the bottom you should push all the air out of the matrix ... check that too... if the heater runs too cold you can always switch them round.

Raywagner132n1816960 said:
And yeah man I can't wait to get this going. I like the car but I've spent too much time and money on it to not feel pressured to get it done
one step at a time and you'll get there ....G.

(Untitled)

look on you tube .... they'll be a vid of someone doing it.

remembering the 3L threads I found after typing vacuum in the search box ... the large vac connection on the intake is where your cougar vac tree is connected to .... but check for yourself. The other water pipe for the heater matrix I believe goes to the aluminium water manifold above the tranny... uinder the 2.5L TB position. If you put the water pump hose on the bottom you should push all the air out of the matrix ... check that too... if the heater runs too cold you can always switch them round.

one step at a time and you'll get there ....G.

I'm completely lost on the water manifold part, so it is hard to follow what you are trying to say. It sounds like you are saying that the main vacuum on the intake manifold goes to the material and splits off. IIRC one goes to the booster, another to the ac, and that leaves a 3rd which I'm guessing is for the heater core. I haven't got a clue about the water manifold. Is it possible to hook up the coolant lines on the throttle body or no

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

....go and look at your old 2.5L

Look at the thermostat housing. . Bolted to the end of the block, above the transmission and underneath where the TB would have been ... is a manifold of sorts that has all the water connections joined to it, (and water temp sensor).

I don't believe the water goes anywhere near the engine AIR inlet system. I believe the engine crank case breather system may be joined to the inlet manifold at the TB.

On the old 2.5L inlet manifold, the vacuum pipes were indeed routed through two black plastic tubes. You need to look at the car you took the cables from and see how the booster and such connected to the engine intake. You may need some of the vacuum pipes from that engine bay to make life easier.

Search the 3L section with vacuum, you will find all the threads where guys have completed what you are doing .

I don't have a plastic manifold only an ST220 alu. one, so it is hard for me to be sure about which connections yours' has. As long as the brake booster has a non return valve in it and is along with the AC and other vacuum pipes, connected to the air intake (after the TB), you should be golden.....G....

(Untitled)

I think I found what you are referring too, the coolant crossover assembly that contains the temp and coolant sensor. Also has two ports for hoses..one being for the thermostat and the other is for the heater core (or at least I'm assuming) so one pipe from the heater goes to this and the other connects to the water pump housing?

... sounds like you're in the ball park.

The small pipe connection on that alu. casting is for the heater matrix .... well it is on my car and everything works. Can't see down the back of my intake to see if it goes top or bottom. Yes the other pipe goes to the water pump.

Crossover is the name of the steel pipe that goes from the thermostat housing across the front of the engine bay to the lower radiator pipe. The alu pipe we are talking about....in my manual is called the bypass housing.

Hopefully that will help avoid confusion unless Fords has changed its' name since the Contour's days

How are you getting on with the vacuum pipes ? ....G.

(Untitled)

... sounds like you're in the ball park.

The small pipe connection on that alu. casting is for the heater matrix .... well it is on my car and everything works. Can't see down the back of my intake to see if it goes top or bottom. Yes the other pipe goes to the water pump.

Crossover is the name of the steel pipe that goes from the thermostat housing across the front of the engine bay to the lower radiator pipe. The alu pipe we are talking about....in my manual is called the bypass housing.

Hopefully that will help avoid confusion unless Fords has changed its' name since the Contour's days

How are you getting on with the vacuum pipes ? ....G.

Oh the names are confusing. On rock auto I found it under a 2004 Taurus and it said crossover assembly. I've also heard of the bypass hose too, so you are probably correct. Crossover is just the first name I heard it called and that's probably why I found next to nothing when I googled it.

Anyhow, I'm still not entirely sure what the heater matrix is. I'm assuming it's a coupler of some sort that allows multiple tubes to connect to each other. I don't recall having anything like that for a coolant hose but I do remember something like that for vacuum supply. I say vacuum but I realize it's probably mainly air pressure lol. Anyways if you could give me some more feedback on the matrix deal than that would be awesome.

Otherwise I think I'm on track. I installed the npg cold air intake over the weekend and now I mainly just have to put my new shifter cables in, flush the brakes, and fill everything up with fluids. (Other than what we discussed and the speed cable)

This is kind of off subject but I looked on Google at some pictures of 3.0s - just because I wanted to see how they had everything routed and I noticed that the there's a hose port coming off the intake manifold , right next to the egr solenoid. In the pictures it had a hose going from that and then all the way to the other side of the intake manifold somewhere. Any idea what this is?

Anyhow, I'm still not entirely sure what the heater matrix is. I'm assuming it's a coupler of some sort that allows multiple tubes to connect to each other. I don't recall having anything like that for a coolant hose but I do remember something like that for vacuum supply. I say vacuum but I realize it's probably mainly air pressure lol. Anyways if you could give me some more feedback on the matrix deal than that would be awesome.
The heater matrix is the cabin heater system you have been sorting the water pipes for. Part of it is the small radiator in the dash that keeps your feet warm.

Raywagner132n1817198 said:
This is kind of off subject but I looked on Google at some pictures of 3.0s - just because I wanted to see how they had everything routed and I noticed that the there's a hose port coming off the intake manifold , right next to the egr solenoid. In the pictures it had a hose going from that and then all the way to the other side of the intake manifold somewhere. Any idea what this is?
To be honest, I'm not sure.

As it's coming off the manifold after the TB then it is likely to be vacuum control for something. On my Mondeo it's the idle air and possibly EGR control air coming from the intake before the TB and after the MAF. Without seeing photo's of your engine bay it's hard to sure what you have.

Post up / link the pictures you are looking at, someone might recognize the engine bay .... especially if it is a contour / cougar ....G.

Sent from my keyboard using tapafingers

(Untitled)

The heater matrix is the cabin heater system you have been sorting the water pipes for. Part of it is the small radiator in the dash that keeps your feet warm.

To be honest, I'm not sure.

As it's coming off the manifold after the TB then it is likely to be vacuum control for something. On my Mondeo it's the idle air and possibly EGR control air coming from the intake before the TB and after the MAF. Without seeing photo's of your engine bay it's hard to sure what you have.

Post up / link the pictures you are looking at, someone might recognize the engine bay .... especially if it is a contour / cougar ....G.

Sent from my keyboard using tapafingers
Okay, so sorry for the confusion but basically you are saying that the pipes coming off the heater core are referred to as the heater matrix? I guess that kind of makes sense. I apologize for some of my dumb questions. A lot of the stuff I remember visually, but I don't know the names of everything. Anyhow, as far as the vacuum goes - I think your looking at the driver's side of the intake manifold. I know what you are talking about with the idle air, fuel pressure regulator, maf, and etc. I have the lines ran for all of that. However, what I am referring to is on the passenger side of the intake manifold - next to the egr solenoid (or at least I think that is what it's called)..you know the thing that has the green and red line running to it for the fuel pressure regulator and the egr valve? Moving on..there is a port right next to this thing that I don't know what goes to. I found a picture on Google that I am attaching. If you look on the left side you will see a hose going from this port and then down along the front valve cover
ed20621979749e15bc8a71715115e9cb.jpg

.... I'm not familiar with that car ... hopefully one of the mod's will be able to answer your vac line questions .... G.

heater matrix is the whole heater unit. pipes vents controls etc.... heater core is the radiator inside it that you connected the water pipes to.

.... I'm not familiar with that car ... hopefully one of the mod's will be able to answer your vac line questions .... G.

heater matrix is the whole heater unit. pipes vents controls etc.... heater core is the radiator inside it that you connected the water pipes to.

Here's a pic with the line circled.

I think I figured out the heater ordeal. I filled up the system with water and no leaks.

I uploaded the tune and tried starting the car but it won't start. I hear the fuel pump prime and it sounds normal when you try to start it but ehhh..I'm thinking it's because the clutch needs bled or something else dumb

Here's a pic with the line circled.

I think I figured out the heater ordeal. I filled up the system with water and no leaks.

I uploaded the tune and tried starting the car but it won't start. I hear the fuel pump prime and it sounds normal when you try to start it but ehhh..I'm thinking it's because the clutch needs bled or something else dumb

Attachments

• IMG_20160930_030612.jpg
    IMG_20160930_030612.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 0
If the motor turns over it isn't the clutch switch. I would check the ECM fuse to make sure you are getting power to the control unit. If so then go back to the basics, does it have spark and fuel?

If the motor turns over it isn't the clutch switch. I would check the ECM fuse to make sure you are getting power to the control unit. If so then go back to the basics, does it have spark and fuel?

This may seem like a dumb question but if I uploaded a tune, just recently, to the ECM - than doesn't that mean it is getting power?

I'm going to have to check the fuel rail probably because I know the fuel pump is good, so possibly it's a rail or injector issue. I'm not sure exactly how to test that but I'll start there and then check the coil. Being that the coil, plugs, and wires are new I'm not as concerned with ignition. If it is in fact ignition though, than its probably something dumb like a bad ground or fuse or loos connection

There must be a ground strap to the coil pack from a known good ground. Check the PCM fuse to make sure power goes to the PCM. We had a bad speed sensor wire that popped the PCM fuse and it did exactly what yours is doing.

There must be a ground strap to the coil pack from a known good ground. Check the PCM fuse to make sure power goes to the PCM. We had a bad speed sensor wire that popped the PCM fuse and it did exactly what yours is doing.

Can you elaborate a little on the ground strap deal? I'm kind of confused. Is the grey transmitter considered a ground, or do I need to run a new ground wire that bolts onto where an existing one is? Also does the ground have to be on the coil bracket or one of the four coil mounting bolts? I'll check the pcm fuse aswell

From the valve cover bolts a ground wire must be attached to the mounting bolts of the coil. I put a ground wire to the coil also from the body because you can't have too many grounds.

From the valve cover bolts a ground wire must be attached to the mounting bolts of the coil. I put a ground wire to the coil also from the body because you can't have too many grounds.

Okay sounds understandable. Does it matter which valve cover bolt? Also, I have a ground on the backside of the rear head, just below the valve cover..does that sound like a ground that should be used on the coil instead of the body which is where I currently have it? I looked at some stuff and the ground strap you were referring to sounds familiar now I just have to find it and put it on right

Back