• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

running rich, or weak ignition?

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
I have been having misfire issues for a while. Tested everything, replaced more. When I pulled the plugs last week, they were black!!! Def. causing my misfire issue. I put in new ones, car ran fine for a while, but now it feels like it starting to miss a bit again. I have (few months ago) swapped out different coils and wires w/ a fellow CEG'r, but it didn't help the miss then. Of course, when I swapped out the coil/wires, I didn't replace the plugs as they were new then.

My question is about the plugs coloration. How do I know if the A/F is too rich ( and what would cause it) or is the ignition too weak (and could this be the coil)? Haynes manual described both as possibilities. I did test the coil before, and it was w/in specs, but it also has 140K miles on it. Opinions?

Not many (<2000) on bank 1 upper, 140K on bank 2 upper. :eek: Will be taking a good look at that one when the headers go on, hopefully soon. Waiting on MSDS. Anything else that could be the culprit?

Yeah, but the new plugs may be clogging up now, too. Gotta pull them tonight and see what they look like. :shrug: The sputtering has returned , not as bad as before, but still.....:mad:

She's in Reading, PA tonight to see an Evanescence concert. That's cool, cuz she'll be in a good mood when I tell her I think I need a new coil.:laugh: Mine is reading about 1 kOhm higher than spec'd on the 2ndary windings. Hmmmmmm.....???????:confused:

Ok. Looked at the tip of the O2 sensor, it's light grey, as it should be. Don't know how it's workin' yet. I also retested the coil, and the secondary windings are testing about 1 Kohm too high. Could that be the issue. I hope so, looks like it's time to price coils.:shrug:

Ok. Looked at the tip of the O2 sensor, it's light grey, as it should be. Don't know how it's workin' yet. I also retested the coil, and the secondary windings are testing about 1 Kohm too high. Could that be the issue. I hope so, looks like it's time to price coils.:shrug:

swap or get a junk yard one for now to see

Back