• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another tranny takes a dump

Looks like I can get reman axles from Napa with my Caterpillar discount for just under $100 that come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Or I can buy the axles from www.axlesforless.com for $131 that come with a lifetime warranty against defects...

Not sure which one to go with any ideas? Of course I'm not going to jump on any of this until I pull my current axles to inspect them. However since I have another car to drive (father-in-law's 97 Nissian Altima, their spare car) I'm in no big hurry. So I can take my time and do everything right.

Alright so.....

I drained the trans (freaking oil looked perfect, what a waste) and pulled the passenger side axle. The CV joint had become dislocated at the inner joint. I took it apart and everything looked fine. I put it back together and reinstalled it.

So now the question is, would that have been enough to cause my issues... because everything else looks just peachy :shrug:

well if it did it once whos to say it won't do it again? i say replace it. hold one end and hold the other end, try to turn it while holding the other end stationary, how much movement do you have? i typically blow out u joints into 7 pieces or so and you don't even know until i get the vibration from hell or if i were to cut the boot and solvant tank it. and don't worry a little movement is okay, i've noticed all my axles have some movement, but 1/4 inch or more is a problem waiting to happen from what i've learned.

well if it did it once whos to say it won't do it again? i say replace it. hold one end and hold the other end, try to turn it while holding the other end stationary, how much movement do you have? i typically blow out u joints into 7 pieces or so and you don't even know until i get the vibration from hell or if i were to cut the boot and solvant tank it. and don't worry a little movement is okay, i've noticed all my axles have some movement, but 1/4 inch or more is a problem waiting to happen from what i've learned.

I'm pretty sure it did it only because of what 'I' did. I'm guessing I dislocated it and didn't notice it when I put my BAT kit in. In any case it's fixed now. Theres no sense in dropping $50 if the part is fine. I like that saying 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'. It's not like it's too much of a hassle to pull it out if something happens down the line.

Back