• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

vb teardown started on 97gl

xpdude

CEG'er
i took it out of the the car. fluid was almost blk. she still drove fine, except for the slipping tc. just below the solenoid pack assembly, their are two fairly large springs in the 1st section of the vb, one large in the same LARGE chamber. across from the other LARGE CHAMBER Is ANOTHER LARGE CHAMBER with only one large AND a little spring that is LOOSE. the little one is loose on one side as i shake the vb back and forth, is this normal, is it soposed to be there? does anyone have a parts description of the vb broken down? i am going to order the (kit) what was it called i want the right one. where do you get the gaskets for the vb/ solinoid pack asembly also?

You buy a complete gasket set, or maybe you can get VB gaskets separate. If car ran fine at one time, I wouldn't worry about that spring. Sometimes they can be loose, unless you find it BROKEN. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT MIXING UP THOSE PARTS. Some of the parts are DAMN close to each other, you mix them up and forget that trans. Pull apart and clean one at a time or label and store in plastic bags. Some parts can only be identified by color of paint on part or spring, write it down. Kit may be called "Transgo brand CD4E Jr." kit.

Check out this...for a crappy VB pic somewhere in it...

http://www.performanceprobe.com/ind...rmanceprobe.com/misc/tsb.php?article=94-12-09

and this...for some more info...

http://www.atraonline.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?threadid=30

The main regulator valve, converter regulator valve, and bypass clutch control valve bores are the ones that most commonly wear. The kit will address things in those areas. Pay close attention to how loose valves are in bores there. Just clean everything else up SUPER clean. Don't take apart the solenoid block, there's nothing you can do there anyway. Just set it out of the way. Line back up VB parts with the tightest fitting drill bits you have, in the outside corner holes.

Good luck, you'll need it.

vb teardown started

vb teardown started

how can i know if the solinoid block is ok? any way to diagnose it?

i will try to get some pix on here so everyone can see what i am doing!

The CD4E jr. kit instruction sheet has an easy way to test some of them, but it involves having a line pressure gauge installed and reading pressures while driving. Most of those solenoids are involved in the shifting anyway, you're worried about the wrong thing. Problem will be in VB worn bores for valves or converter.

vb teardown

vb teardown

Has anyone had experiance installing this kit? is it hard to do? what valve does it replace.

vb teardown

vb teardown

the foward accumulator is the one w/ the loose spring that you can shake back and forth. this has 2 springs in it. the other side has only one and the parts disc shows 3.

Did the car ever run correctly at all? Meaning at one time everything was OK, then don't worry about the spring, provided it's not broken or obviously bent out of shape. Sometimes springs CAN BE loose, pressure on startup just takes up the slack. You will probably not find a pic that shows every single combination of spring that VB uses. They change that stuff up ALL THE TIME, that's why I said use EXACT replacement part. Put VB on bench, solenoid block mounting area facing up and on upper left. 3 accumulators, 1 on the left and 2 on the right. My pic shows the left one, low-reverse, has 3 springs, each go inside each other. Piston goes in first, closed end in first, then the 3 springs and retainer. Right side, upper is 2-4 accumulator. Single spring goes in first, then piston with closed end facing OUT and then plug and retainer. Lower is forward accumulator, piston goes in first, closed end first, then 2 springs, one inside the other, then retainer. Of course, that's MY pic, but it's big and super clear. If you mix up those springs you are screwed. Not hard to install kit, but you must PAY ATTENTION. Read directions more than once and be very sure of the passage you are drilling before you drill, or you end up with scrap. DON'T use the big flat washer (for 2-4 servo) included unless you have slippage in either 2nd or 4th gear. You actually need to measure the travel of servo to determine whether you need it or not, requires special tools. If you just throw the washer in without knowing where distance is at, you can in worst case scenario burn up the 2-4 band.

vb teardown

vb teardown

ok, i am going for the cd4e jr kit on bulkpart.com. my vb has 207k on it. do you think it will work after adding this kit or would it be too worn down to make a differance? the kit says it fixes converter slip, constant reverse clutch ect.

vb looks ok!

vb looks ok!

IT even has TRANSTEC gaskets in it. now what? looked at the valves in the ware areas and they barly wiggle at all. must mean that its good to go? so then i can turn to replaceing the tc i guess!

Depends what you call barely. Valves are usually really close, any wiggle AT ALL may be suspect. Is any of the hardcoat worn off of valves themselves? Valves are harder than bores, if valves wearing through coating, then holes probably oversize.

vb question?

vb question?

just carious, I may install a vb w/ lower millage, 96k. the vb has a f3 casting # which is out of a 96gl. should that work in this 97gl w/ a f7 casting #? the solinoid conn was bwn w/ white case covering the wires.

We've been here before. Go back through replies this thread, answer still the same. Try it if you must........no guarantee. Maybe.

You buy a complete gasket set, or maybe you can get VB gaskets separate. If car ran fine at one time, I wouldn't worry about that spring. Sometimes they can be loose, unless you find it BROKEN. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT MIXING UP THOSE PARTS. Some of the parts are DAMN close to each other, you mix them up and forget that trans. Pull apart and clean one at a time or label and store in plastic bags. Some parts can only be identified by color of paint on part or spring, write it down. Kit may be called "Transgo brand CD4E Jr." kit.

that kit, is a fix up for our(all years) valve body. Shortens shifts, add lubrication to certain areas and more. all extending the life of the tranny.

Back