• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help! My Car Wont Start!

svt tourin

CEG'er
Hi I have a 2000 svt contour stock with a K&N. Well I thought the battery was dead so I replaced it yesterday and its still wont start. It sounds like its going to start but it never turns over. The check engine light flashes fast when I try to start it (and it looks dim) and my stock security light flashes fast (and I have used both of my spares keys just in case it was the security chip in the key). When the key is in the on position there is a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay. The gas light also comes on when the engine is trying to start. And I can hear the fuel pump running (but i never really know what its supposed to sound like but there is a noise coming from it). I had the fuel pump replaced this time last year so i wouldnt think it was that. I am stuck with it in my driveway and if anyone has any advice please help me so I can get it back on the road! THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE!!!

Hi I have a 2000 svt contour stock with a K&N. Well I thought the battery was dead so I replaced it yesterday and its still wont start. It sounds like its going to start but it never turns over. The check engine light flashes fast when I try to start it (and it looks dim) and my stock security light flashes fast (and I have used both of my spares keys just in case it was the security chip in the key). When the key is in the on position there is a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay. The gas light also comes on when the engine is trying to start. And I can hear the fuel pump running (but i never really know what its supposed to sound like but there is a noise coming from it). I had the fuel pump replaced this time last year so i wouldnt think it was that. I am stuck with it in my driveway and if anyone has any advice please help me so I can get it back on the road! THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE!!!
Sometimes the number of times something flashes will give you an idea what it might be. I know the airbag light does that, but not 100% sure if the CEL does the same. So count the flashes and come back and search them. Good luck, man.

They flash for as long as i crank. It seemed like it flashed twice then started flashing rapidly. but when the key is on the on position the security light flashes (and the check engine is off) and i hear the clicking noise then i try starting it they both flash rapidly. this just seems really weird to me.

This almost sounds like a bad ground or discharged/weak battery.

I take it as your trying to crank it over and it's clicking, the longer you hold it the clicking slows down and the dashlights get dimmer.

I read you replaced the battery, however you could get a discharged battery from the store.

If you have a VOM check your voltage (this will not tell you shorted/weak battery) but is a start for charge level. If you can have someone crank it over while checking the voltage you don't want less than 9.8 during cranking.

With the VOM you can also do a voltage drop test on the connections and to the engine block. This is simply taking the meter set it up for DC volt test. This is done with the connections connected to the battery. Touch one probe to the battery post and the other to the connector. If you get 1-2volts or higher the connection needs to be check. If you touch the neg post and the engine block and see anything over .25 (1/4) volts that isn't good either.

If you don't have a VOM walmart has them cheap in the automotive section, usally around the stereo/amps.

This almost sounds like a bad ground or discharged/weak battery.

I take it as your trying to crank it over and it's clicking, the longer you hold it the clicking slows down and the dashlights get dimmer.

I read you replaced the battery, however you could get a discharged battery from the store.

If you have a VOM check your voltage (this will not tell you shorted/weak battery) but is a start for charge level. If you can have someone crank it over while checking the voltage you don't want less than 9.8 during cranking.

With the VOM you can also do a voltage drop test on the connections and to the engine block. This is simply taking the meter set it up for DC volt test. This is done with the connections connected to the battery. Touch one probe to the battery post and the other to the connector. If you get 1-2volts or higher the connection needs to be check. If you touch the neg post and the engine block and see anything over .25 (1/4) volts that isn't good either.

If you don't have a VOM walmart has them cheap in the automotive section, usally around the stereo/amps.

well my car does crank, the noise only happens (or at least i can only hear it) when the key is in the on position not when im attempting to start it... could this still be a solution?

When you turn it to the on position does the CEL come on or just flash? Is it more a flicker? I'm wondering if you might have a bad ign. switch (electrical half). Maybe voltage from switch cutting in and out.

and does it have an aftermarket alarm with any kinda of disable wired?

It flickers when I try starting it. but when the key is in the on position I dont remember seeing the CEL on at all. I do have an aftermarket alarm but I was told if that was causing the problem the car wouldnt even try to start. I just had it towed up to a dealership... if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. THANKS!

It flickers when I try starting it. but when the key is in the on position I dont remember seeing the CEL on at all. I do have an aftermarket alarm but I was told if that was causing the problem the car wouldnt even try to start. I just had it towed up to a dealership... if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. THANKS!

Let us know what they find. Your right, if the alarm had a kill it usally wired in to the start wire. But have seen some wired into the ign wire. My only other guess without looking at it is PCM relay.

Let us know what they find. Your right, if the alarm had a kill it usally wired in to the start wire. But have seen some wired into the ign wire. My only other guess without looking at it is PCM relay.

I just got it back and it was 2 relay switches!!! Back to running like a champ!

Back