• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Windows get 2/3 of the way up then slow!

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
What's up guys.. searched and didn't find much on the topic. It's not the motors is it?

My two front windows will go normal speed up about 2/3 of the way and then crawl the rest of the way up.

Recently started happening.. anyone heard of this? :help:

is it worse with the car off and just using battery power? you might just have two bad regulators up there.

You may have weak motors, but before doing anything you should clean and lubricate the window channels.

Get a spray can of silicon spray lube. Roll the window all the way down. With the wand in place, spray the exposed portions of the window channels. Roll the window up slightly so that you can fit the wand between the edge of the glass and the lower portion of the window channel and spray liberally. If you started with the front edge, repeat at the rear edge. Spray liberally. You cannot do too much. Some people even spray until silicon drips out the drain holes at the bottom of the door. Roll the window up and down about a half dozen times (you may want the engine running as it is rough on the battery). Repeat the treatment if needed.

Repeat for the other front window. It doesn't hurt to do the rear windows too. This is good maintenance once every year or two.

With a little luck, the windows will operate much smoother. Worst case is that you will be out a couple of bucks for the silicon spray.

is it worse with the car off and just using battery power? you might just have two bad regulators up there.
Nope it's the same.

I'll try what you said Jim! It first started with my front left, then the front right about a month after.

They still go down at warp speed though, if it makes a difference :shrug:

I remember when I had to get a shattered window replaced.. the guy was calling in all the other workers going.. "look how fast this contour's windows are!" :D

Are your windows tinted? If window film gets the wrong cleaner on it can become very sticky. I've seen that gunk up and cause slow opening windows before. Also if the edges of the film starts peeling up it causes added friction in the edge channels.

I had this problem on the 95 Mystique my brother drives. The glass had some play in it and would move side to side in the track. Since the glass would go up at an angle, it would have too much resistance and slow down near the top. Is the glass moving completely straight or tilted?

I had this problem on the 95 Mystique my brother drives. The glass had some play in it and would move side to side in the track. Since the glass would go up at an angle, it would have too much resistance and slow down near the top. Is the glass moving completely straight or tilted?
driverside one definitely angles itself wrong on the way up. dont know about the passenger. any way to fix this? i remember when I got my doors repainted, the bodyshop attempted to do a quick fix but couldn't figure out the problem.

Are your windows tinted? If window film gets the wrong cleaner on it can become very sticky. I've seen that gunk up and cause slow opening windows before. Also if the edges of the film starts peeling up it causes added friction in the edge channels.
they were tinted.. and then tint was removed, so thats definitely a possibility.

thanks for the suggestions guys :cool:

You probably need to replace the window regulator, but it is worth it to pull the door panel and have a look to see if something is out of adjustment.
will do, funny thing is lately my cars had its door panels off more than they've been on :laugh: Always changing car audio stuff.

Is this something I can steal off a junkyard car? I think I read the motors were expensive, are the regulators pretty cheap?

I won't see it until tomorrow so I'll let you guys know whats up. Thanks!

this happened in my black svt. both front windows would do that, except the drivers side window would pop out of the track everytime. i replaced both window regulators. it fixed the passenger side, but the drivers side keeps popping out. never really had time to pull the panel again and figure out whats making the window pop out

will do, funny thing is lately my cars had its door panels off more than they've been on :laugh: Always changing car audio stuff.

Is this something I can steal off a junkyard car? I think I read the motors were expensive, are the regulators pretty cheap?

I won't see it until tomorrow so I'll let you guys know whats up. Thanks!

The motors are part of the window regulators. There is no practical way to change the motor without changing the regulator.

well I finally got a chance to play with it today with the door panels off.

When I straighten them up they don't lag anymore. Plus I'm still gonna try lubing everything up like you said Jim. I can definitely hear rubbing.

I seem dumb now, it was all pretty obvious. Thanks guys :laugh:

Back