• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

auto open/close moonroof

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, i'm following the instructions to wire these relays in. Got everything done bar the black ground wires. In the instructions it shows the five pin plug on the motor from the switch. On mine... the top left is violet/ blue next to it is black. Below are three pins from L-R they are yellow, white/blue and then black. This is different from the sketch in the instructions. Anyone else found the same? Does this matter ? Is the top ground still for open and bottom for closed ? need help soon....it's nearly midnight....G.

this diagram shows the yellow next to the black at the top of the motor plug. The photo's in the instructions show the violet/blue next to the black at the top. Can someone please tell me what you guys are actually seeing in your cars... thanks ...G.

i need additional information on the black wires if anyone can help. The top black wire on the motor plug goes to the switch. I need to know which terminal it goes to.....or which wires are either side of it ....thanks...G.

the top (has only 2 pins) black is for open while the bottom (has the other 3 pins) black is for close.

your switch should function identically and i suspect all 8 pin locations on the back of the switch will be laid out the same. follow your wires from the switch to the motor and match them to the colors in the how to. if your pin1 is color x and the howto is color y, they should be doing the same function. and the top and bottom black wire should follow the same layout as the how to. i don't think that would've been changed for all model years. but you never know with ford.

i pm'd you with info. it doesn't matter if the diagram is off w/ the pin locations just make sure you use the correct wire. also check to make sure the quick splices are on properly. nobody else had a problem w/ this so i know the directions are easy to follow.

thanks for your replies guys, i am sure i have it wired correctly...i've checked and checked again. The only possible problem i can see is that the cut black wires may have been crossed. This is why i asked for confirmation of where the top black wire on the motor plug goes to on the switch. I still need someone to confirm this for me please....G.

your switch should function identically and i suspect all 8 pin locations on the back of the switch will be laid out the same. follow your wires from the switch to the motor and match them to the colors in the how to. if your pin1 is color x and the howto is color y, they should be doing the same function. and the top and bottom black wire should follow the same layout as the how to. i don't think that would've been changed for all model years. but you never know with ford.
agreed... a diagram of the motor plug and the switch plug wire layout on your contours would be cool.... Mine are... MOTOR PLUG. top left ..violet/blue. top right ...black. bottom left...yellow. middle..white/blue. bottom right...black. SWITCH. top left...blue/white. next no wire. next..black. top right...no wire. Bottom left..my lighting wire. next...black. next...violet/blue. bottom right...yellow..... G.

The only possible problem i can see is that the cut black wires may have been crossed. This is why i asked for confirmation of where the top black wire on the motor plug goes to on the switch.....G.
OK i've made progress on this. The black wires on the motor plug are actually connected together inside the motor. The two black wires on the switch are not connected and so this should be where the instructions should be directed. According to the haynes manual the switch plug pins are numbered 1-8. The white wire with blue stripe is in no.1.... so the black in no.3 is for closing the moonrooof and the black in no.6 is for opening ... on mine at least. Maybe the instructions could read this way incase anyone else gets 4 black wire ends loose all at one time !! ...G.

on my contour, the top black on the motor side goes to pin 3 in the switch and is used for opening the sunroof while the bottom black goes to pin 6 and is used for closing the sunroof. the pins in the switch are labeled if inside the switch and can be seen by simply removing the wiring connector from the switch.

on my contour, the top black on the motor side goes to pin 3 in the switch and is used for opening the sunroof while the bottom black goes to pin 6 and is used for closing the sunroof. the pins in the switch are labeled if inside the switch and can be seen by simply removing the wiring connector from the switch.
thanks for that. I've checked everything (relays, wiring etc) and i can't see what is wrong. I'm just going to reconnect the black wires and tuck it all up in the roof. Maybe in a couple of days time something will occur to me. In the meantime i've got a new fuel pump to install....G.

gorman r u doing the auto open and auto close? the top black wire is for auto open. cut it and connect it to the 2 grounds on the auto open relay. bottom black wire is for auto close. cut it and connect it to the 2 grounds on the auto close relay

Back