• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just to let you know after going through all of the posts, I have an original Speed WC rear wing all set up for the Contour. It was part of the spares package I received. It would work very well, but at 48" it looks kinda narrow on the car.

As well I can tell you that the ECU is a special one. It can't be reprogrammed as any of the standard systems, like Diablo, don't recognize it. It is criticle to use the right plugs and fuel. The race ecu doesn't have a good cold start feature, but will flood the f&$% out of the car if you start, quickly shut off the car and try to start it again. You need to understand that the car wants to be started, warmed up to operating temps and then driven hard. It does not work for just f@rting around. It will flood the plugs quickly. I have a bag of over 40 race plugs that I rotate through the motor when I try to just drive it around. The guys in Ottawa who bought the ex-Capaldi car are trying to restore it to WC Specs. It had been converted to an almost IT spec. They have been having huge issues with bad gas, wrong ecu and wrong plugs.

Further details about the Kinetic Motors like in my car which was built and dynoed in 2001. I actually have the Dyno run spec sheets for my car and the original 2000 Mirko car. The cars had 12.8:1 compression. The heads were gone through, but little to no port hogging took place as the stock heads flowed very well. All of the engines made around 270 hp at just under 8,000 rpm. The original ones used blue printed stock internals and were really kinda fragile if you didn't treat them right. The later engines, like in the Capaldi car and my car used full on race internals, like different cranks, rods and pistons to make them almost bullet proof. The cams were pretty close to stock lift, but with longer duration and extended lobe centerlines. The cars don't like to idle when cold and finally settle down to about a 1,700 rpm idle loping when warm. Oil pressures and viscosity are important (straight 30 weight is good or a race 20-50).

Some details about my car, it was built from a body in white so it has no V.I.N.'s. It has a Quaife dog box in it with a Quaife diff. A full-on Dynamic suspension that makes the car handle like a rear wheel drive car and the whole suspension and most of the drivetrain mounting brackets are all hand fabricated from aluminum or tubular steel. The car is a work of art.

The best part of these cars is the on-track. They go like stink and will blow past many v8 cars in a straight line.

Eric nummelin

Where is this car stored? Not that we are looking at stealing it or anything....:laugh:

I got a great laugh from your post about where the car is stored. It is in the garage at my house, beside my RX7 and protected by my 4 dogs. Granted 1 of them is about 8 lbs, :laugh:.

What is really interesting is that both of the Cougars sat for about 3 years while the previous owners tried to find somebody to take them off their hands. Both cars came with tons of spares and 2 motors. Mine came with 2 complete transaxles and 3 sets of suspension. The other car came with a bunch of body parts, brake parts, intake parts and 2 race motors with a stock motor.

Everybody had a chance at the cars before I bought mine and the guys in Ottawa bought theirs.

Come out to Mosport this summer and you should be able to see both cars running on track at the same time. The only 2 full race Cougars in the World, big whup :rolleyes:. It would be great if the original poster could bring his car up as well. Now that would be cool as I am unsure if there are any other ex-WC Contours still around.

Eric Nummelin

Guys and gals,
I've realized today that the twitter account linked in my sig has not been accepting pics lately. So I'll do a little update here as I'm back in MD for a day or two. The car is now at it's new home in SC and I've been able to put together a short list of things to fix.

-Replace CV shafts
-replace clutch and throw out bearing
-turn rotors and replace brake pads
-cut out old race seat and weld in new
-weld in a quick release steering wheel
-add fuel cell and new fuel pump
-weld in intrusion panels around the driver
-new rear subframe
-etc...

I've been in touch with 23racer and am really looking forward to working with him to turn this into the car it should have been.

i hope twitter.com can figure out what's going on. My summer free time will be spent getting things done.

i'm still waiting for those exhaust pics. if you ever part with ANYTHING off of that car please get in touch with me.

coolest contour ever

coolest contour ever

so which one is faster? of all the things on the SVT that really makes me wonder is the mystique tailights and reflector.

atleast I know what my mystique would look like with the SVT rear bumper

270hp doesn't seem that impressive when you consider the 110 octane requirement. of course thats 100hp more than mine has...

how much do these cars weigh.. power/weight ratio.

so which one is faster? of all the things on the SVT that really makes me wonder is the mystique tailights and reflector.

atleast I know what my mystique would look like with the SVT rear bumper

270hp doesn't seem that impressive when you consider the 110 octane requirement. of course thats 100hp more than mine has...

how much do these cars weigh.. power/weight ratio.
wow your posts keep getting better and better.

270 WHEEL HP. A stock Mystique doesn't have 170 whp.

270 wheel HP yes. from a powerband i'm guessing is probably...... 6000 rpm to 8000 rpm. it idles at 1700 and fouls plugs if you are not going full clip all the time. the gearbox is hard to keep in the car (mostly, im' guessing, because the new owners haven't mastered shifting a dogbox and can't match gears well)

on the street, these cars would be slower than a stock SVT because the power just isnt built for something like this. this car is designed to be started, warmed up breifly, and pounded on from there on out.

slower than stock on the street? Highway speeds its gotta be different. I mean you only get close to 6k if u punch it thru the lower gears so id imagine it be slow, but at higher speeds iirc, the tach sits around 3300 @ 80mph in 5th cruising. soo if u drop it into 3rd i imagine a whole lotta fun is to be had...

well 3rd if u REALLY need to get somewhere.. Going by the build posts, i think it'd be able to handle it without puking on itself.

Actually its probably not geared to run on the highway so this is all a dream anyway, bah.

lol.. douchebags..

lol.. douchebags..

wow your posts keep getting better and better.

thanks to your keen guidance.

so nobody knows how much these cars weigh? mine says 2815lbs I'd have to assume the racers are less. but with the bracing it might be even.

clearly they should be fast.. and oh no WHP.. whatever.. I know the difference the point is 110 octane fuel. not worth it. lets get $10 worth of fuel each and go road racing.. I'll use only 4th gear.. for obvious reasons

besides its the driver not the car. fact is my stock mystique has made a fool of many RWD sports car with better power/weight ratios. Z06 corvette s2000 many RX8s and whole whack of mustangs civics etc. and I've got posted lap times to prove. check my cardomain for links to those

besides its the driver not the car. fact is my stock mystique has made a fool of many RWD sports car with better power/weight ratios. Z06 corvette s2000 many RX8s and whole whack of mustangs civics etc. and I've got posted lap times to prove. check my cardomain for links to those

Lol. What?

clearly they should be fast.. and oh no WHP.. whatever.. I know the difference the point is 110 octane fuel. not worth it. lets get $10 worth of fuel each and go road racing.. I'll use only 4th gear.. for obvious reasons

I don't know what's worse, the stupidity or the bullsh*t you just spit out in that post.

I'm gonna go ahead and throw the BS flag on this one...

th_bsflag.gif

Let's keep the discussion civil. Better yet if you want to have a discussion about racing, take it to the appropriate forum and quit hijacking this thread.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thanks for the laugh

Back