• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 SVT sunroof

jaycontoursvt

CEG'er
ive checked around and cant find a how-to on how to replace the motor, or even where the motor is for my year car.

someone told me that all factory sunroof motors are under the dome-light which is located between the sun-visors. BUT, mine is not located there. my dome-light is located in the middle between the front and rear seats.

if someone can PLEASE post a picture of their 2000 SVT dome-light (so that it shows where it is in relation to the headboard, and also if possible have the light off so that the motor is visible.

I would GREATLY appreciate this

all factory sunroof motors are under this panel that has the dome light. its the same for all years that have a factory sunroof. if your dome light is in the middle of the roof chances are you don't have a factory sunroof. only cars with a factory dome light in the middle of the roof are post 98 cars without sunroofs. and since all SVTs, well just about all, came with sunroofs they wouldn't have dome lights in the middle of the roof.

domeopen.jpg

moonroofmotor.jpg

Last edited:
well damn, i guess i have an aftermarket sunroof :( which makes me question the vehicle

Can we get a picture of your dome light etc? This is interesting.

Funny though, I just had motor out last night. Seemed to bind up for some reason and the glass wouldn't move (gear is fine).

brian my svt is not equipped with a sunroof, and my dome light is still up front between the sunvisors. I'll get a pic and post it later.

Thats an aftermarket. Looks like a PO may have bought a SVT w\out moonroof and had one added.

Interior trim around opening missing, ext molding looks different, dome light placement, etc.

brian my svt is not equipped with a sunroof, and my dome light is still up front between the sunvisors. I'll get a pic and post it later.

yes. pre98s and it seems SVTs only have the front dome light. post 98 non-svt cars have them in the center of the roof. my mothers 99 is like this because it doesn't have a sun roof. where as my 99 does have a sunroof and only has the dome light up front.

yes. pre98s and it seems SVTs only have the front dome light. post 98 non-svt cars have them in the center of the roof. my mothers 99 is like this because it doesn't have a sun roof. where as my 99 does have a sunroof and only has the dome light up front.
ok so 98+ non svt without sunroofs have a middle dome light?

Middle dome light is 99-00 only. (All Contours without sunroof)

My 98 SE had the front dome light.

so should i just fish around myself in the headboard or is this something i should take in to someplace that does this work to see if they can fix it?

cuz if its aftermarket, then the whole gear going bad thing may be a mute point, and i could have some completely different issue as to why it wont work.

If it's aftermarket, it could be anywhere. I know my friend's aftermarket sunroof has the motor in the headliner near the windshield, this is typical location for most sunroofs. Others could be near the rear of the car.

If you pull the headliner you might be able to find the motor, figure out what brand/model sunroof it is, and then further investigate the issue.

When you looked under the dome light, did you see any extra wiring where they may have tapped the power supply for the dome light? Is there a bigger fuse in one of the slots on the fuse panel? You may be able to see where they are grabbing the power from. Another thing, can you look up between the headliner around where the sunroof is, and see where the wiring from the switch is going?

Back