• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

300mmx278mm brake group buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder is there any benefit to having the bigger rotors on the rear then? You really are not taking advantage of the larger surface area of the rotor by using the stock rear CSVT caliper and you increase the rotating mass on the rear wheels. However if I guy was to use front CSVT calipers then you would probably have to get an adjustable proportional valve for the brakes because of the pressure increase needed to operate the front CSVT calipers on the rear... or am I wrong in my thinking? Thoughts/comments?

Wow.

The advantage is the 1 inch increase in diameter of the rotor. That positions the pads out about 13mm further and increases the lever arm of the brake system on the rear.

TCE has a nice calculator for this stuff to calculate front brake bias. I used it in determining the benefits. This front and rear rotor increases alone will retain essentially the same brake bias as stock, assuming you have stock pads front and back AND continue to use stock pads, and provide significantly more stopping power.
If you just put the FSVTs on the front you get a more forward brake bias transfer. So yes, you get more stopping power from these however the majority is from the fronts, as it is in stock setups.

If you put the CSVT calipers on the rear and on the front you'd be driving a dangerous machine! :shocked: There is a reason the OEM designed the caliper piston sizes, and that is because you don't want that kind of clamping power on the rear. If you want more clamp power then you can upgrade to a rear pad that has more cF "bite" then stock but believe me you won't be disappointed. Even TCE uses stock rear calipers with bigger rotors.

Hey, I thought it looked good too, but if you don't like it don't buy it.

if you use the front calipers on the rear you loose the parking brake :idea:

You could set up a Line Lock (like most rear wheel drive drag cars have) for the rears. This would give you an ebrake at the flip of a switch.

Any way, Warmonger, paypal payment has been sent for the rear kit.

- Chris

Updated list

Updated list

FRONT SET:

REAR SET:
<paid>1. Rara
2. 99 red SVT
3. LoveMySVT
4. BigJim [contacted]
5. ExDelayed
<paid>6. nadthomas
7. juspifool

BOTH SETS:
1. Kremithefrog
<paid>2. starjammir Ready to send cash
<paid>3. KingpinSVT Ready to send cash
4. TourDeForce
5. mond12345 (NECO)
6. iluvmytour
7. Bensenvill (NECO)
<paid>8. DyComet Ready to send paypal <Also gets pair brackets>
9. SvtTour98.5-3
<paid>10. RandyCSVT (just tell me when and where to paypal full payment)
11. Cougar99 Ready to send MO [contacted]
12. rkneeshaw3.0
13. Mustang Ready to send cash / Paypal

????Slowcat looks like he may be out :mad: (NECO)

Hi All: I'm having trouble distinguishing a couple of names from screennames on some people who paid. Please submit your screen name somewhere in the paypal address or something so I can figure it out, or send me a PM with your name right after so I can associate it with this list.

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of my car with the Front Big Brake Kit this morning.

100_0981.jpg

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg

100_0984.jpg

100_0985.jpg

100_0986.jpg

Mike, the Wilwood caliper is a totally different animal than the stock caliper. Both kits out there that use the Wilwood calipers use seperate intermediate brackets sized for thier respective rotors (depending on whether you have the TCE or VOA kit). warmonger's front brackets are designed to be used w/ the stock CSVT caliper to put it over a stock FSVT rotor. You are confusing two completely different setups.

All that said, the rear brackets will balance out pretty well functionally with any of the front upgrades available, making for an overall better balanced setup than a front upgrade alone. For example, the rear upgrade will balance well with my current Focus SVT front brakes, but it will also balance well with the 13" Brembo front kit I currently am working on.

After doing some thinking, I think Iwill buy the rear kit and go with 13" in the front. I had looked at the Baer 13" kit and didn't want to buy 17" and didn't want to spend like $800 for the front brakes. Rara send me a PM with some info on what is all needed for your Brembo upgrade and an approximate price. From there I will make my decision.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hey, I thought it looked good too, but if you don't like it don't buy it.

Never said it didn't look good or that I didn't like it. I was just curious if I would have a noticable increase of braking power from the rear.

Last edited:
What rotors are those? I know SVTF but where from.

The rotors were an eBay purchase. The pictures from the auction did not have the same pattern. The slots were streight, more like the ones I removed which also match what is still on the rears. I kind of like them. They included a zinc wash, but I painted them as well.

I don't know if he is still active with eBay. The seller was kooltech99. PM me if you want his email address.

I've made my decision. I just don't want to spend the cash for the 13". :( I'm in for both sets. Can I wait to give you the deposit when I get the core $$ back from the Poly group buy tho? If not I can give you something as a deposit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back