• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 Contour broken down overheating...Blew a pipe d/side block to heater core need dual diameter hos

fordbanger

New CEG'er
97 ford Contour 4cyl DOHC broken down & overheating...Blew a 2 inch rubber pipe that goes fron the drivers side block to in dash heater core... Need dual diameter hose anyone happen to know this one off hand? Part# FROM FORD IS f5rz-8290-a, but I don't need the metal pipe too; just the rubber dual diameter hose... anyone know of a good replacement or the right diameters so I can have it when I do the job? Should be on all 95-98 dohc contours? it is under the egr block, coming out from the engine head on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump. nested under weird shiny 1/4 header looking things??? Ive removed the hose and replaced but I replaced with a 90deg dual diameter hosewhich is prone to leakage for the simple fact it is a 90 and I need like a 45 or straight I think. Im in eugene now and car is in redding would like to pre-empive strike this 10 hour drive.. I already got the thermostat which is what I hope it is thx!
I hope its not the pump....My gf did the unthinkable on a recent 4000mile road trip and really wanted the ac on...at low rpm this made the belt slip and squeak and chirp and stumble...I hope my theory that when the serpentine belt at a high slip speed did catch... it did not kill the plastic water pump impeller...I poured water in the water tank and no it did not go down....I will try the hose off thermostat housing technique to see if its the pump)... it did go down a little when I put the cap on tight...hmm I am running straight tap water thinking heater core or thermostat...water pump its two years old...

Thermostat easy to rule out. Remove it and place in a pot of water. Bring to boil. Add salt to taste (jk). If the thermostat doesn't open, there's your problem.

I would add pepper but...The countour is spicy enough :)

I would add pepper but...The countour is spicy enough :)

The hose I'm looking for should be on all 95-98 dohc contours? it is under the egr block, coming out from the engine head on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump. Nested under weird shiny 1/4 header looking things??? which actually stem from the exhaust side. Ive removed the hose and replaced but I replaced with a 90deg dual diameter hose (my only option at the time)which is prone to leakage for the simple fact it is a 90 (weird fitment and non-laminar water flow)and I need like a 45 or straight I think.

The hose I'm looking for should be on all 95-98 dohc contours? it is under the egr block, coming out from the engine head on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump. Nested under weird shiny 1/4 header looking things??? which actually stem from the exhaust side. Ive removed the hose and replaced but I replaced with a 90deg dual diameter hose (my only option at the time)which is prone to leakage for the simple fact it is a 90 (weird fitment and non-laminar water flow)and I need like a 45 or straight I think.
Going to have to take a look at mine. Loaned out to a friend right now. Once I get it back, I'll take a look at what's on mine and see if we can troubleshoot.

Back