• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another Question about shift knobs

I have a 98 CSVT, and to in reverse, I have to pull up on this little thing and then move the gear shifter back. I have tried putting on two different aftermarket shift knobs, but neither one of them worked because of this thing that I had to pull up on- I couldn't get the car to go in reverse. Any suggestions as to how I can get past this? Thanks.

Jack

yeah you have to buy a shift knob made for cars with a reverse lockout ... try looking at focus ones not generic aftermarket ones ...

You can always remove the reverse lockout. My car has it missing. Just don't shift from 5th->reverse.

is it possible to get an aftermarket shifter knob for an automatic? cause we got the button and the od button

You can always remove the reverse lockout. My car has it missing. Just don't shift from 5th->reverse.

yeah you can do that also but I am personally not a fan of this ... also its kinda hard to do a 5-reverse as the shifter sends you towards 4th when you down shift ...

its impossible to go from 5th to reverse!! the shuft tower locks it when you go into 5th, you have to go into another gear first!
so reverse lockout is pointless

Take the shift knob off, cut the zip tie for the shift boot, and slide the reverse lock-out shaft off the shifter.

or, you could lift the boot and trim 'ring'
unscrew the allen head bolt holding the reverse lockout block, remove block, re-insert bolt, snap boot back down.

or, you could lift the boot and trim 'ring'
unscrew the allen head bolt holding the reverse lockout block, remove block, re-insert bolt, snap boot back down.

Yup, that's another way but he needs the shaft out. The reverse lock-out would be useless but that's not the issue. The shaft is in the way of the knob.

Back