• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

anyone run this?

if you don't get the ball welded it will break off very quickly, and no its not a true short shifter.

I think that is the Chinese B&M ripoff. I want to say ronssvt had one and some issues shifting into 1-3-5 or something like that. There should be some threads on here about it. Sorry for being so vague... It's probably best to avoid IMO.
Until I got a killer deal on a B&M, I was thinking about chopping my stocker and buying one of these for the aluminum reverse lockout collar. You get a pretty dependable shorty that actually looks like aftermarket too!
Erick --

yah they are junk unless you get them welded, mine as well just cut the stock shifter.

i have one in my contour for about 3 years now, but mind you i did weld the ball as soon as i got it. i have no complaint with mine, but i did get mine super cheap and i am not really doing much racing with mine. i just wanted something shorter then stock and with the revers lock out.

I got lucky when I started working at Advance Auto and grabbed the very last B&M they had for $75 shipped, you can still get one through them from a company called Keystone Automotive (actually based only a couple miles from my house) but IIRC its around $200. I have never had problems with mine and the welds look great, but I also don't slam my shifter into gear, that doesn't mean I'm especially nice to it, but I certainly am not extremely rough on it.

the b&m is not a true shortthrow shifter, it is just a short shifter.

the b&m is not a true shortthrow shifter, it is just a short shifter.

True, but as anyone can tell you, even just a shorter shifter completely changes the feel of it, used to feel like rowing a boat.

Also I used to punch my head unit going into first and third.

just shortning the shaft above the pivot ruines the geometry of the shifting pattern in my mind, if you modify up top you should modify down low.

Have you driven a Contour with a B&M style? I don't know what you mean but what changes is a shorter throw and less ambiguous gears, which equates to a more confident shift feel, probably because the shaft is straight on the B&M, and bent on the stock shifter.

To each their own, as long as the type of shifter each shifter is... is specified. I prefer a taller shifter with a short throw, as I don't like having to lean/reach for the shifter.

To each their own, as long as the type of shifter each shifter is... is specified. I prefer a taller shifter with a short throw, as I don't like having to lean/reach for the shifter.

Same here. I didn't like my B&M shifter which I ran for years. I switched to a Steeda/Ford Racing shifter a couple years ago and never looked back. The feel is 100 times better than the B&M. I don't feel like I'm reaching for it or putting much effort into the shifts but still with nice short throws.

has any one made thier own short throw shifter?

like a true short throw? I made one for my brothers Focus, but it has a slightly taller shifter base that allows shifters like the CFM and Steeda to work without any kind of riser plate. its not pretty looking but its hidden under the boot and tower anyways and it works great.

ya,true short throw...may i ask how much you took out and and put in? thx

ya,true short throw...may i ask how much you took out and and put in? thx

I left the top part (above the pivot ball) stock. below the ball i cut it and lengthened it by about 15mm, using a piece of flat steel welded to the back side (side facing away from the lower mounting ball stud). I then also filled in the gap as well, even though the welded on steel would have been plenty strong on its own.

I did a similar thing with my ms3 shifter. I copied the dimensions of a popular short throw. Tig welded, has gone 45k lol. One of the first things I did.

I just bought a short throw shifter from a contour at a salvage yard,it had the aluminum reverse lock out it looked to cool so i bought it all,but i seem to scratch second when its not warmed up,anyone else have this problem with shorter throw shifter...idk what brand i have i assume its a knock off of something or maybe i got lucky and its a name brand but i cant tell and it sits lower and 1,3,5 seem normal and 2,4,and reverse seem to be the shorter throw i dont like that wish at least 3rd and 5th were shorter too but oh well lol

I have the Cosmo Racing short shifter. It is 100% comparable to the B&M.
I have never had a problem with it. I have tracked the car. I am usually a pretty "spirited" driver to say the least and 3+ years later she still holds up just fine.
People way you need to have the ball on the bottom re-welded to prevent it from breaking are full of sh*t in my opinion.

Cosmo = 1/2 price of B&M with same quality IMO

Back