• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

Thats because you have a tune, its just not fully optimized for the oval port. Theres probably not much to gain with your tune, but maybe a little driveability.

I thought Pud said it was running a tune with the split ports from his old 3.0L. The car still behaves like it has the secondaries in it....hit 3.5K RPM's and it really takes off. Below that and it is lacking a bit. So, it is most likely near the peak power then, just needs to have that "secondary" part tuned out (along with the EGR stuff).

I thought Pud said it was running a tune with the split ports from his old 3.0L. The car still behaves like it has the secondaries in it....hit 3.5K RPM's and it really takes off. Below that and it is lacking a bit.

that is what he is basically saying. its tuned so you have a very strong top end. retune it for the oval port and you will get some power down low but that will mostly lead to some more driveability. you will also not get the large bump in power at 3.5 krpm. however the top end will most likely not change.

Yep exactly. The tune is compensated for the the 3l displacement and added timing. So thats were most of the power comes from. I can probably sell you a tune that will fit for full 3l, since we have your current tune on file. Pm me for details.

wow i just read all 500 some posts! every single one...
i have been giving it more and more thought that i want to pick up a cheap v6/mtx and put a 3L in it this has helped clear up some of the questions i had. my biggest problem i think would be the tuning... i would have no idea where to start. who to talk to, or even where to find a dyno. we have one at my school but it doesnt get used and i would have to trailer the car there (my one instructor is very strict about obeying laws and wouldnt like it so much that i would be driving an illegal to the school).
i think blu's car has been one of the biggest inspirations in me wanting to do this.

Thank you ;). It is a good project that everyone should try once at least. You will learn a lot.

*9-10-10
Car = 224,225 Miles
Motor = 31,145 Miles
Trans/clutch/torsen = 11,994 Miles*

The built trans still has gear rollover noise and I think is getting progressivly louder (though I think it is throwout bearing noise not a trans noise). New royal purple did not help the noise. Still have not installed my new IAC to kill the moose.

I just fixed an exhaust leak where the headers meet the y-pipe on the rear bank and I see that my new crank seal is seeping oil around the DMD and also there is trans fluid seeping out where the rod shift goes into the trans case. Also noticing that some of my original coolant hoses are letting coolant weep by the clamped area. Just enough to make it look wet, not really leaking or loosing coolant.

Still have 17# injectors and no tune due to no replies to emails and some people moving on and no longer offer tuning for the OBDI on our platform. I want to upgrade to the 19# injectors already, just don't have a tuner lined up to burn my chip.

Other than that, I drive it about 50% of the time during the summer. Still runs pretty good otherwise.

*9-10-10
Still have 17# injectors and no tune due to no replies to emails and some people moving on and no longer offer tuning for the OBDI on our platform. I want to upgrade to the 19# injectors already, just don't have a tuner lined up to burn my chip.

Other than that, I drive it about 50% of the time during the summer. Still runs pretty good otherwise.

How does the car perform overall? I've been researching the 3.0l swap for about a year now (in fact I've subscribed to this thread), and I really want to do it, but the tuning part is where I'm a little lost. I'm in the same position as you, running an SE motor w/ 17# injectors. Only difference is I have OBD II. I'll be installing an SVT UIM, LIM, and throttle body shortly. Will the motor be harmed running a smaller injector (possibly creating a lean condition)? does it affect power anywhere in the RPM range? I figured I would ask you since you're in a similar situation to mine.

all you need to do is contact NPG and get an Xcal with tune that is set up for 19# injectors and your good to go.

What Brian said ^ . Fortunatly you can use an xcal and tune anyway you want with OBDII. I can't, I have a 1995 OBDI.

My car is really bogged out under 3K RPM but hits power numbers at or better than a lot of cars with 19# injectors.

It is not safe with 17's and is almost not safe at 19#. Your motor can lean out and blow and that is the last thing you want to do expecially because you can prevent it very easily.

I am putting in 19# injectors. Never said I would put 22's in :confused:.....

you just said they are almost unsafe...

I used the stock taurus injectors, which have a different connector and are 22lbs... then again, I havent read the last few pages, so idk exactly what we're discussing here...

as for you joe, I honestly have no idea what it took to get a obdII 3.0 to work in your obdI 95. which brings me to a question, what year did the ford ranger become obdII? because my friends 91 blazer has what looks like an obdII port for some reason...

Back