• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carbon fiber (ATTN MIKE)

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
mike. we haven't spoken much about this, but it's come up once or twice. i have 4 pieces for a drag sled that i would LOVE to do in carbon fiber. it could simply be an overlay of the plastics and be fastened by DZUS fasteners. so it would be simple. i would like it to look good and be shiny. they are plastic side panels/hood. they could be done as one piece (preferred) or however. I can do this in fiberglass but i think CF would be lighter/cooler as nobody really does CF stuff. overall size of the side panels would be about 18"X24" each, hood is about 14"X24", and the windshield is like 8"X12"

are you interested in taking on a little project like this in the spring time, and how much would it cost?

i know the vaccum bagging setup requires molds and is expensive. let me know what you think as far as an overlay like you did with your roof. thanks

Yea I could probably do something for you. I'll have to see how much CF I have left over when I finish the other parts I've got planned. Plus once I finish the trunk and start the GB I'll probably need to buy more CF so if I run low I could always buy enough for your parts, as well as the GB parts. As for a cost, not sure I'd have to see the parts and get an idea of how much time/material I'd have into it. FYI if you want a solid part of CF a mold is going to be needed anyway regardless of vacuum bagging or not.

Yea I could probably do something for you. I'll have to see how much CF I have left over when I finish the other parts I've got planned. Plus once I finish the trunk and start the GB I'll probably need to buy more CF so if I run low I could always buy enough for your parts, as well as the GB parts. As for a cost, not sure I'd have to see the parts and get an idea of how much time/material I'd have into it. FYI if you want a solid part of CF a mold is going to be needed anyway regardless of vacuum bagging or not.

ah. well i definately want it to be its own piece, not wrapped. i found a site that sells the whole front end as 1 piece in carbon fiber. i don't know a price but i've heard they are around 1000$ and save 12 lbs. so that may just be easier to do it that way.

woa 1000 bucks just for 12lbs... seems a bit steep.

yeah. but 12 lbs is a lot on a 300 lb machine too. lol. the problem with this setup is, i have to upgrade to "their" front end kit or the front suspension won't clear. i was hoping to use a stock set of A arms but remade in aluminum, so i don't have to go full tube chassis. I don't quite trust myself to go 150mph on a chassis i built myself just yet :p

rt%20hood.jpg

I've got a pretty hefty vacuum pump. I think it sucks down roughly 26 psi...that might help. We could get some streamline chromoly tubing and make some sweet A-arms. They would look like Indy car A-arms.

This is what the tubing looks like.

aerotube.jpg

I don't deny 12lb is a lot on something that weighs that light... but to pay 1000 bucks for it is a bit much. Although that said for something that large, that is a lot of CF, resin, and gel-coat. So maybe it's not to far out of line when you factor in the time to make it and the complexity of the mold they must have with all of those crazy surfaces.

I've got a pretty hefty vacuum pump. I think it sucks down roughly 26 psi...that might help. We could get some streamline chromoly tubing and make some sweet A-arms. They would look like Indy car A-arms.

This is what the tubing looks like.

aerotube.jpg

if i had big boy money, i'd give you the dimensions and a tunnel and have you front half a sled for me. then i'd be very competetive. and stupid fast

yeah. but 12 lbs is a lot on a 300 lb machine too. lol. the problem with this setup is, i have to upgrade to "their" front end kit or the front suspension won't clear. i was hoping to use a stock set of A arms but remade in aluminum, so i don't have to go full tube chassis. I don't quite trust myself to go 150mph on a chassis i built myself just yet :p

rt%20hood.jpg

You could probably buy a nice elliptical for $800 and loose 12lbs. lol

You could probably buy a nice elliptical for $800 and loose 12lbs. lol

also you want the full bodied piece. i could lay a fiberglass one also. the stock body panels don't have the air dam in front and don't cover up the front suspension as well. i could make it half assed or go over the top. i don't do snowmobiles half assed lol

Back