• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning Black plastic trim

SVTcontourSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
What do you guys use to clean the black plastic trim in our cars? A lot of the products I tried leave a "greasy" trail and seem to collect dust easier. I'm looking for somthing that will clean it but not leave any residue on my trim pieces. Any advice would rock.

Stu

I generally just use a dry cotton towel. Seems to work better than anything else since it leaves the surface dry. The hard part is getting stuff in the deep cracks around the headlight switch, shifter bezel, etc.

What do you guys use to clean the black plastic trim in our cars? A lot of the products I tried leave a "greasy" trail and seem to collect dust easier. I'm looking for somthing that will clean it but not leave any residue on my trim pieces. Any advice would rock.

Stu

You may need to state what trim your talking about? interior or exterior.

i wish i could read portugese, when i worked at acura all the cleaning supplies were labeled in portugese because it was an outside company that clean the cars, they had some amazing stuff, always in generic bottles though, and my outside trim, dash, shift boot and console, would shine for like 2 weeks with this stuff..... hmmm so i guess i dont know so thats no help.

Stu

Funny but when i was at kmart waiting for aprescription to be filled.

I found a bottle of exterior trim blackner. I was thinking about buying it, but they wanted 7-8 dollars for it.:shrug:

I only had 10 for the meds. So i have been meaning to go back to kmart and pick up the stuff. I really want to give it a try for the exterior trim.

For interior i use windex. :cool:

Back to Black has always worked well for me, although I still use a protectant wipe and then follow it with a microfiber cloth so it doesnt stay wet and greasy looking.

I found a bottle of exterior trim blackner. I was thinking about buying it, but they wanted 7-8 dollars for it.:shrug:

I only had 10 for the meds. So i have been meaning to go back to kmart and pick up the stuff. I really want to give it a try for the exterior trim.

If you end buying it please let me know if it works well. I'm going to have to buy a few products and experiment with.

Back to Black works but you have to keep applying it.

For the inside trim, I just use Son of a Gun... it's like Armor All but less greasy. Then I wipe it down lightly. This time of year, with all the pollen, I don't even bother keeping it clean, I just wipe it off with my finger every day or so.

Back to Black works but you have to keep applying it.

For the inside trim, I just use Son of a Gun... it's like Armor All but less greasy. Then I wipe it down lightly. This time of year, with all the pollen, I don't even bother keeping it clean, I just wipe it off with my finger every day or so.

So you're saying you don't have to re-apply Son of a Gun?

Meguiar's NXT Tech Protectant is the best product I have used for interior trim. It leaves a very nice finish (satin, not glossy), is not greasy, and lasts forever (well, 6+ months anyways). Interior Quick Detailer is good for in between cleanings, but it doesn't provide the UV protection of the NXT product.

Meguiar's NXT Tech Protectant is the best product I have used for interior trim. It leaves a very nice finish (satin, not glossy), is not greasy, and lasts forever (well, 6+ months anyways). Interior Quick Detailer is good for in between cleanings, but it doesn't provide the UV protection of the NXT product.

Hmmm that sounds the best to me so far. I think that's what I'm going to try first.

Maybe if you layed off the meds you'de remember to go back and buy it? :shrug::laugh:

autopia_2007_96237

303 Aerospace Protectant is the #1 recommended product on the interwebz....Great shine, isn't greasy and it doesnt collect ust the first day after using it like most.....
If you order it from Autopia you can use the promo code SAVEBIG and save 15% of certain products.

Steve

Last edited:
Maybe if you layed off the meds you'de remember to go back and buy it? :shrug::laugh:

autopia_2007_96237

303 Aerospace Protectant is the #1 recommended product on the interwebz....Great shine, isn't greasy and it doesnt collect ust the first day after using it like most.....
If you order it from Autopia you can use the promo code SAVEBIG and save 15% of certain products.

Steve

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html has it for $13 without the discount. They have some discount codes from time to time.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=2706&url=detailedimage.com/303-M2/Aerospace-Protectant-P12/ Found here too for $13 - use discount code 10offe46 for 10% discount.

Sorry should have been more specific. Interior trim like the one going around the speedometer, and the trim that goes around the radio.

I guess since everyone including myself has neglected to actually answer your question, I use Mothers Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner once in a while, sprayed on a soft, water-dampened microfiber towel... so basically, I'm doing like a wet-mop job. I'll use a cotton swab or gentle detailing brush where necessary.

I dry it with a clean microfiber, and use Mothers Protectant sprayed on a soft microfiber towel. I'll let it work a few minutes and follow with a light wipe of a soft cloth to kill any shine.

For nooks and crannies, like the turn signal boots, I'll lightly spray directly on the boot while holding a towel beneath it, then wipe off the excess.

If it's just lightly dusty, I'll just swipe it with a dry microfiber or possibly just use the Protectant.

For the cleaner, you can also use a mild car wash solution or some quality mild cleaner that has no ammonia or harsh chemicals.

Back