• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coilovers :D

You're going to have a helluva time adjusting down with those perches on there.

You can go about 1.5-2" lower than stock with leaving the spring perches still on the strut. I ran GCs on stock, uncut spring perches, for about 4-5 years with a 2" drop. You pretty much have to ajust the collars where you want them, drop it, and leave it. There might be enough room when you jack up the car to slide the sleeve/spring/collar up to get your wrench onto the collar to spin it up or down.....

I was the reason that sellers put a disclaimer up about them no fitting svt struts. In 03 I ordered one of the first sets from eBay, to get it to fit my stock struts I had to grind Down the strut body and use a cylinder hone tool to open the sleeve.

Do you have a measuring tape or some calipers? Measure the circumference with a tape and divide by pi? Just trying to decide if I should buy some Koni rears or not.

Most coil over sleeves are either 2.04" or 2.08" inside diameter, this is based on fitting over either 2" O.D Penske or 2.08" O.D. Monroe racing shock bodies. The eBay stuff, who knows?

I'd like to about double the rear spring rate while using as long a spring as possible, keep the ride height close to stock, get my roll stiffness from the springs and lose the rear anti-roll bar. I'll design my own upper carrier plate for a spherical bearing, bushing and load spreader for the spring hat.

I've done this before, these are rear coilovers I did for my Taurus SHO. The springs are 2.5" I.D, 350 pound/inch, 10" free length.
New_rear_strut_assys.jpg

WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE????? Did you make them? those don't look like the IPT's and Sho Source just came out with their kit. I saw the pic before I read it and already knew they were from the SHO by the design. Yea I have a set of calipers I'm not at home right now though not till thursday I'm out of town.

I designed them, had parts machined, etc. I'm an engineer by day and race car builder by hobby. I built 10 sets of parts for front and rear and sold them to SHO friends who shared my psychosis. I occasionally see a set for sale on SHOFourm, tho I don't keep real close track of them anymore. The housings were cut and gutted for Koni inserts, I removed the original spring perches, then had the housings sand blasted and Nickel plated to make them pretty.

I'd appreciate it if you could put calipers to the upper tubes of the Konis, I'd rather not buy something that will give me grief later on, but if they're typical Koni tubes, they'll be right at 2.0" O.D.

Thanks.

UPDATE!!!!! I called GC and got some more info for all of you. this is exactly what was ordered 4 D-Rings for all struts and 2 Tubes for the back. They answered my question about whats different between the two and it was 2.5 MM difference lol The stock sturts are 52.5MM in diameter and Koni's are 50MM in diameter.

We had a good size thread in regards to these CO's back in 2005 on NECO. :)

Back