• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diff questions pre and post 98

So i broke my diff in the parking lot at work going 2mph so i got a pre 98 diff today and holly S*** they are a lot Thicker and better made spider gears the post 98 dont look like they would hold up to a 4banger.

So can i put the pre98 spider gears in my post diff? and the other question is does it have to be re shimmed or are they all machined so they are the same?

20140619_160036_zpsznttyxvg.jpg

20140619_183328_zpsundbkhzn.jpg

dont change out spider gears... just replace the entire dif. re-shim to be safe. check the bearings while its out and replace if necessary.

Should i use the ring gear thats on it or put mine from that trans on it id assume there the same but either way idc i just need to get this fixed so i can drive to work. where do you get shims for this or do you just pull them from other trans?and how do you accurately shim with out sealing the case every time.. or is it so thin it dont make much difference.. This is the first messing with these trans so pardon the newbieness ha ha

also this had a Canadian exchange sticker on it idk what thats all about maybe its a replacement trans.. all i know is the fluid was red as can be and the magnet too.

use your own ring gear. take out the old shim. replace out race only halfway. put the case together and tighten it without sealant. take it apart again. find the gap from the race to the case, and add .006"- .008" to the total you found under the race. order that shim from ford. or just buy the shim kit ahead of time and pop the correct one in. and reclose the tranny with anaerobic sealant

i would recommend new bearings, but you could be lucky and theyll be in great shape

youtube mtx75 torsen install. basically 3 videos of exactly what i just told you except streeeetched out. also make sure you use feeler gauge correctly

Uhh idts. Iv talked to terry as well as according to a shop that worked on mtx75s it was .006. Thats the same as the othere transmissions i did. Tapered roller bearing all need about the same amount of extra shim.

Edit. Your not talking about shim thickness. Thats actually talking about preload. That is measured differently. What im saying is to add .006-.008" of extra shim thickness

Yes it is, they've even got an example there. There's nothing to argue about. I did this with mine and it came out right on spec when turning the input shaft.

u8ury2ar.jpg

measuring gap and adding shim isnt even the correct way. like i said you have to add shims and then put the damn thing together and turn it. using a special tool find out the resistence or effort it takes to turn it and keep trying different shims until you get into spec. adding this or that amout more shim is just guess work. the tool measures resistence do you not understand that?

this is how preload is measured

OK, but for this transmission, they have it figured out. That's simply what the book says, and the way Terry does. If you want to do it by treating it like a RWD differential, that's your choice.

its the same technique. you cant base preload off just the thickness of shim. thats why you measure preload. thats why the numbers cant be .33 of shim.

Well i measured it and found the shim it currently has gives me the .006 preload so thats what its getting. it turns smooth with some resistance and ya thats how its going back together. does a regular auto parts store have this anabolic sealer? ive never used it before

Well got the diff in and the trans in and all is well. I can tell that it's more firm getting on the gas and letting off not nearly the play the other style diff had. Thanks for all the help now i have something to drive to work monday.

Back