• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dual Fan Conversion

acontour

CEG'er
Hello everyone!

I'm looking on how to wire 98 dual fans instead of my single fan . Is there a how to anywhere? Could not find anything.

Also I want to have a On and Off switch which overrides the fan and turns it on whenever I want to.

Any help?

Thanks

There you go

There you go

Looks like nobody knows or cares so after getting a dual fan from a 98 Contour , I decided that I'm just going to wire it to the relays(found in the engine compartment) using the high and low . Easiest way I think is to use 2 toggle switches which can be manually turned on from the car. One will control both fans at low speed and another will control both fans at high speed . Here is more info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/contour-fan-factory-speed-control-552543/index2.html

I'll end up wiring a linkable fuse of about 30 amps before each toggle switch just in case. From what I hear , both fans put out 30 amps at full speed so I should be safe at the low and high speed.

Why would you want to?

The computer controls the fans more efficiently than you can.

There are very few reasons a person should ever change their fan setup they got from the factory.

1: Overheating, insufficient air flow.
2: Space constraints due to turbos or other hardware that interferes with the fans.
3: Changing from a mechanical fan to an electric fan.
4: Putting on something for pretties, or to be JDM TYTE YO. (though one should never do this.)

If you are looking into dual fan setups to increase CFMs, you can still wire it into the existing harness that runs your two speed fan. It is basically just adding a couple relays so that on low speed one fan is on, on high speed both are on, and on A/C, only your high speed side is on unless the temperature gets too high.

But, IDK what dual fans you would want to use.... Any idea what the CFM on the zetecs fan is?

If you do go with a switch, just use a 3 way switch, wire one side to run a single fan, and wire the other side to run both fans. That way you have less switches to deal with.

If you plan on taking control of fans away from the PCM there will be problems when they kick on. If motor at idle, the hit on power will drop idle enough for a second that it will be about to die. The PCM kicks up the idle right before throwing on both the fans. The fans both run at either low or high speed, not one on for low and the second one kicking in for high. I'd be sure the supply wiring bigger for double the current.

Why would you want to?

The computer controls the fans more efficiently than you can.

There are very few reasons a person should ever change their fan setup they got from the factory.

1: Overheating, insufficient air flow.
2: Space constraints due to turbos or other hardware that interferes with the fans.
3: Changing from a mechanical fan to an electric fan.
4: Putting on something for pretties, or to be JDM TYTE YO. (though one should never do this.)

If you are looking into dual fan setups to increase CFMs, you can still wire it into the existing harness that runs your two speed fan. It is basically just adding a couple relays so that on low speed one fan is on, on high speed both are on, and on A/C, only your high speed side is on unless the temperature gets too high.

But, IDK what dual fans you would want to use.... Any idea what the CFM on the zetecs fan is?

If you do go with a switch, just use a 3 way switch, wire one side to run a single fan, and wire the other side to run both fans. That way you have less switches to deal with.

Hello.

The reason I had to rebuild my engine all over again is because it overheated due to poor air cooling. I've upped my compression to 12:5.1 therefore I want to have a better airflow. I have changed my thermostat to a 180 degree Failsafe so that should also help.

From what I understand , the computer controls the fan when the temperature is to high. Maybe 200 degrees or more. It looks like the dual fans that I got will connect straight to the harness for my single fan . I don't know the CFM on these dual fans (I got them from the junk yard from a 98 , 4 cylinder zetec car..the one with VCT)but they sure seemed to blow more air on both low and high when I bench tested them versus my single fan.

I'll get a better picture of when the computer turns on the fans from my aftermarket temperature sensor which I installed in the upper radiator hose. If they do not come on around 190 degrees , I'm definitely hooking up a switch to control them whenever I want based on my aftermarket temp. gauge.

So yes , I will let the computer control them but want a way to mannualy turn them on when I want to. In the summer it gets pretty damn hot and I don't want to risk another blown head gasket , melted piston , and warped head because of a dumb stock temperature setting which the computer works on. I also know that both fans either turn on at the low setting at the same time or at the high setting at the same time.

Can I turn both fans on low than on high with a 3-way on-off toggle switch?
I'll post a picture for a better understanding. I could be wrong about the relays though.

Fans that I got. When both of these wires connect to the + on the battery along with the ground cable to the - , both fans work on the high setting. When only one wire gets connected to the + along with the ground cable to the - , both fans come on at the low setting. My schematics might be off on the high setting as well as the relay ones.

1-1.jpg

Fan diagram. I don't know for sure if I need to connect to those exact wires from under the relays. I need to check which 2 activate the fans.
2.jpg

I cannot recall on that pinout, but using a 3 way switch is, for all intents and purposes, the same as using the two separate switches, since you are just grounding or supplying power (I cant remember which way the PCM goes on this). What AMC said rings true though. Also, kicking on your fans when the computer isnt calling for it will probably throw a cell, not to mention you would want to add a diode between each of the relays and the PCM.

Why not just reprogram to have the PCM turn on the fans at a lower temperature and put in a lower temp thermostat. Also, I would think that airflow isnt your only problem, but if it is, that would be solved by a higher CFM fan like you are planning. You may want to look into finding an upgraded radiator too.

Your PCM needs to know when the fans come on. It'll bump up the idle to properly spin the alternator quicker to compensate for the quick burst of energy the fans need. Same thing for the A/C compressor.

everyone knows that the dual fans always run at the same time right? they are either on at low speed or on at high speed. they are not run independently.

I cannot recall on that pinout, but using a 3 way switch is, for all intents and purposes, the same as using the two separate switches, since you are just grounding or supplying power (I cant remember which way the PCM goes on this). What AMC said rings true though. Also, kicking on your fans when the computer isnt calling for it will probably throw a cell, not to mention you would want to add a diode between each of the relays and the PCM.

Why not just reprogram to have the PCM turn on the fans at a lower temperature and put in a lower temp thermostat. Also, I would think that airflow isnt your only problem, but if it is, that would be solved by a higher CFM fan like you are planning. You may want to look into finding an upgraded radiator too.

Any idea of what kind a diode I would need? I also have a lower temp 180 degrees thermostat. I no longer have A/C on the car or the compressor on the block. From what I hear when you turn on the A/C , the fans should go on. Maybe I could use the A/C connector to turn on the fans since it is no longer being used..:shrug:

Now you got me really curious. How can I reprogram my computer to turn the fans at a lower setting? That would be nice.. I never remember my old single fan turning on at the low setting..what a mess..

Pcm

Pcm

Your PCM needs to know when the fans come on. It'll bump up the idle to properly spin the alternator quicker to compensate for the quick burst of energy the fans need. Same thing for the A/C compressor.

So If I was to go my route using the on/off switch , I would have to only turn them on when I'm driving and not idling the car?...Ha ha , having the engine die on you when you turn on the fans while idling would not be fun. I no longer have an A/C compressor on it..

Any idea of what kind a diode I would need? I also have a lower temp 180 degrees thermostat. I no longer have A/C on the car or the compressor on the block. From what I hear when you turn on the A/C , the fans should go on. Maybe I could use the A/C connector to turn on the fans since it is no longer being used..:shrug:

Now you got me really curious. How can I reprogram my computer to turn the fans at a lower setting? That would be nice.. I never remember my old single fan turning on at the low setting..what a mess..

I don't remember the wiring off the top of my head for the fans, and my service manual won't load on my computer. Using the AC switch to turn the fans on would work I suppose, though I'm not sure what wiring that would be like either.....

As far as reprogramming the ECU, that is as simple as getting a programmer and setting the fan on temp lower.... If you have been on a dyno or are planning on going on a dyno anytime soon to tune for your higher compression and whatnot, then they could change your fan on temperatures, although you may want to put in a lower temp thermostat as well.

First off, try upping your CFMs by going to the dual fan setup, and you may want to look into an upgraded radiator. That alone may solve all your worries.

Intersting? My 97 zetec has the dual fans from the factory???

Is that a question or are you saying that you have the dual fans from the factory? Not all 98 Contours with VCT have the dual fans. Just open the hood and see if you have 1 or 2 fans on the radiator.

I don't remember the wiring off the top of my head for the fans, and my service manual won't load on my computer. Using the AC switch to turn the fans on would work I suppose, though I'm not sure what wiring that would be like either.....

As far as reprogramming the ECU, that is as simple as getting a programmer and setting the fan on temp lower.... If you have been on a dyno or are planning on going on a dyno anytime soon to tune for your higher compression and whatnot, then they could change your fan on temperatures, although you may want to put in a lower temp thermostat as well.

First off, try upping your CFMs by going to the dual fan setup, and you may want to look into an upgraded radiator. That alone may solve all your worries.

A programmer such as the Diablo ,the Jet or something more expensive? Last time I did not do a tune which was dumb so I will go to a Dyno for sure this time. A lower than 180 degrees t-stat?

I have also already installed the dual fans . The harness was identical with mine. The two fans are linked in a series versus the single one so not having to mess with the harness was really nice. Will look into a better radiator .

Great feedback. Keep it coming!

A programmer such as the Diablo ,the Jet or something more expensive? Last time I did not do a tune which was dumb so I will go to a Dyno for sure this time. A lower than 180 degrees t-stat?

Best to ask whomever is tuning your car. The information is important so they tune your car for whatever heat range.... yadda yadda yadda. If you get a tune, you wont really need a programmer, if you want a programmer, you can look into the XCal like NPG sells with the pro racer package so you can modify your tune, but you would still need someone to tune your car on a dyno, so unless you are going to continue to need to make changes, you dont really need a programmer. A programmer only is really useful if you are going to make changes to the tune yourself, but without a dyno, it is at times a shot in the dark. There you would just be relying on datalogging and hoping for the best.

so i am curious what the outcome of this was? my contour as well had a blown headgasket when i bought it and i have been driving it for about a month now since being fixed it is fine almost runs on the cool side (by the n or o of "normal) when it is cooler out but when it gets up to 70 or so it likes to run much warmer (a or l of "normal") . my fan does work but it doesnt cool it down much i do have a 180 degree thermostat in the car. so i am wondering if it made any improvements on your car? it is only get warmer and i have to figure out if this car is going to be reliable over the summer and not overheat on me. and dual fans are definatly not hard to add if it helped at all.

so i am curious what the outcome of this was? my contour as well had a blown headgasket when i bought it and i have been driving it for about a month now since being fixed it is fine almost runs on the cool side (by the n or o of "normal) when it is cooler out but when it gets up to 70 or so it likes to run much warmer (a or l of "normal") . my fan does work but it doesnt cool it down much i do have a 180 degree thermostat in the car. so i am wondering if it made any improvements on your car? it is only get warmer and i have to figure out if this car is going to be reliable over the summer and not overheat on me. and dual fans are definatly not hard to add if it helped at all.

Both fans seem to operate fine but since it is still pretty cold outside I couldn't really tell you the difference. Temperature does not get high enough for the fans to turn on , so the real test will be in the summer at temp. over 90F. One thing I could tell you is that it definitely pulls more air vs the single fan so if you can get a hands on them you should ..It's just plug and play. I also have a 180 t-stat and it has sure made an improvement.

I'm still trying to find out if I can have my computer flashed and reprogrammed with a lower setting for the low and high fan settings. That should make a significant difference. I don't know what Ford was thinking with their 214F for low and over 230F for high..that explains why so many Contours are found at the junkyard. Another things , I don't have A/C on it anymore so I've removed that A/C condensor (which is on the radiator)..that should also help with the flow.

If you haven't done a coolant flush that is a must. Get a Prestone kit from Walmart or some other place and do it. Also if the heater core is plugged you might want to change it.

oh yeah i definatly know about the cooling systems on these cars and what a pain they can be. my 97 that i had before my current 96 also had a blown headgasket and that was due to the coolant hoses being plugged up and not allowing any coolant flow. this car has coolant that is less than one month and 1k miles old so i got a little while yet before i have to worry but i have been keeping a close eye on it. my uncle has a contour for parts, a 98 i think, i will have to see if it has the dual fans if so i should be able to get them real cheap.

Sable23,

I got a question for you. I have a '96 Contour with Zetec engine. I have the same issues on my car in regards to effective cooling. I have one fan on the radiator. I was thinking about going to the junkyard and getting dual fans and putting it on my car. I'm hoping that this will be a "plug-n-play" deal. If not, what kind of modifications am I looking at?

Back