• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dual Fan Conversion

Sable23,

I got a question for you. I have a '96 Contour with Zetec engine. I have the same issues on my car in regards to effective cooling. I have one fan on the radiator. I was thinking about going to the junkyard and getting dual fans and putting it on my car. I'm hoping that this will be a "plug-n-play" deal. If not, what kind of modifications am I looking at?

Check out post #5 on page 1. It is just plug-n-play . Even the ground will go in the same spot. Get the dual fans if you find them. Lots of people use them on other makes because of their decent efficiency. To check them when you get home just use a car battery ..touch the single black cable to the neg on the battery then 1 green wire for low speed and both green wires for high to the positive terminal. You can insert a paper clip in the connector.

Tons of things to check for in regards to improving/checking cooling. There we go: low fan resistor(on the fan..they rust over time ) , temp switch + harness , fuses , coolant flush , check heater core for restriction , check for leaks, new water pump , remove a/c condenser if a/c is not functional or used , 180 degree thermostat , inspect radiator fins and straighten if they are bent..

Thanks for the answer Acontour. I'll go to the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can find one. I'm looking at my Haynes repair manual for the Contour and it tells me that I have to drain the cooling system as part of the procedure in order to remove the old fan. Did you do this? Or is there a workaround?

Thanks for the answer Acontour. I'll go to the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can find one. I'm looking at my Haynes repair manual for the Contour and it tells me that I have to drain the cooling system as part of the procedure in order to remove the old fan. Did you do this? Or is there a workaround?

The fan is only held with 2 , 8 or 10mm nuts , I can't remember. It also has the 2 plastic notches which go over the radiator. Make sure you pull it up after you take the nuts out and then remove it away from the upper radiator hose( passenger side). I already had my coolant out therefore I did not need to drain it.(I just pulled the upper radiator hose to the right) If I was you I would get the coolant out , do a coolant flush and slap in a 180F Fail Safe thermostat.

Here's the latest & greatest: I couldn't find the dual cooling fan assembly at the junkyard. So I bought a used one from Ebay. This assembly was pulled from a 98 Contour with Zetec engine. It came in yesterday. The only modification I had to make was that there was a 3-prong plug with purple wires that needed to be replaced by a 4-prong plug. Other than that, it's truly a "plug-n-play". 2 fans are better than 1!
grin.gif
My car is thanking me for the conversion! I'm very happy!!!:D

And yes, I did a coolant flush and put in a 180F fail-safe thermostat.

Here's the latest & greatest: I couldn't find the dual cooling fan assembly at the junkyard. So I bought a used one from Ebay. This assembly was pulled from a 98 Contour with Zetec engine. It came in yesterday. The only modification I had to make was that there was a 3-prong plug with purple wires that needed to be replaced by a 4-prong plug. Other than that, it's truly a "plug-n-play". 2 fans are better than 1!
grin.gif
My car is thanking me for the conversion! I'm very happy!!!:D

And yes, I did a coolant flush and put in a 180F fail-safe thermostat.

Cool . Glad it worked for you.

Damn it's been getting really hot lately and the POS computer doesn't turn on the fans.I hate seeing the coolant temp gauge go over 200 F.. I can see the coolant starting to boil and still no fan movement. What a joke of a cooling system. Ford should be ashamed ...

Who puts a low fan speed setting at 214 F and high at a 230+? I guess the Contours were not made for the summer heat..Only cold climates.

K , enought bi...in for one day.

Back