• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally doing a 3L

thats interesting man. I wish I could find the pages I got linked to a long time ago when I we went over all this on the other site. I knew penzoil and castrol were bad choices but I was under the impression valvoline synpower was comparable to mobile 1. the resounding answere from terry was mobile 1 or amsoil too though.

thats funny the motorcraft stuff gets sold under the kendall brand though, I went to middle school with a kid who was related to some big guy for them.

since you guys are so in the know about the oil bussiness, anybody know who manufactures the wal-mark supertech products? I've been curious for a while. the oil doesn't seem bad, but it smelled a little sulfury when it was new out of the bottle.

:shrug:

Most of what Wal Mart currently uses is from a little know producer named Warren Petroleum Products (or something like that). In the past it was Valvoline (and still might be in some parts of the country. The "full synthetic" that Wal Mart sells under their own label is Group III.

Group III isn't bad oil. In fact in may ways it is exceptional. It just doesn't quite match up to Group IV. It's overall performance is approaching Group IV, but not quite, and it is MUCH cheaper to produce. If cheaper to produce, should it not have a lower retail price?

I view Wal Mart's synthetic oil as somewhere between great dino oil and Mobil 1. It seems to be a good value and provides good results. Just don't think of it as the same as the better Group IV synthetics for a lower price.

I'm not big Amsoil fan so I don't follow it that much. My understanding is that the XL product line is Group III

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx

I don't have anything against the product itself, in fact all reports is that it is very good, I just have issues with their marketing scheme (multi-level) and advertising (if Amsoil paid for the testing they always come out on top even if they try to make it look impartial).

What the heck do they have that would be in the group IV then?

yeah I remembered hearing that super tech was valvoline before, and that was why the silver bottle supertech synthetic seemed like a great value to me, especially after ruining the mobile one with a head gasket.

Back