• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog light projector retro + 3000k HID

The HID projector fog kits I've seen are usually referred to as low-low beams.... the light output shouldn't be compared to a typical fog light.

This is correct, but also if we are going to argue semantics.... the stock 'fogs' are not really fogs either, more of a driving beam... toe-ma-y-toe toe-mah-toe.

Not to be taken the wrong way but to be honest there were several PM's I sent to you and you did not respond to them regarding parts, how-to's, and where you source things from so I took it upon myself to get the job done. It's all good though I learned something new and have a new talent. Can not wait to do the retro in the low's. It's gonna be sick.

Sorry I didnt reply to some of your PMs. I get real busy.... get alot of PMs a week. Its also possible (I dont remember your PMs) that I didnt want to give out any details :shrug:

Project looks good either way, Im looking forward to seeing your headlights

Nice lights.... Hella 90mm projectors used for loglamps with a custom cutoff shield and bracket wired with an HID kit. This sure does bring back memories...

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2615

/sarcasm off

This is the exact same thing I've had for my CSVT (4300k bulbs instead) for months now compliments of Pudmunkie. I find it in poor taste you never gave him so much as a nod of acknowledgment in this thread.

Why? Because Pud Invented putting projectors as foglights? Get off his back Greg. Stop trying to ruin everyone of his threads.

Exactly! who are you Icefury?? Your argument makes no sense and has no validity. Any quality fog projector has a flat cutoff as to separate the beam from the low's and not fight against each other. This is common knowledge that you obviously don't have.

Again, who made MY custom flat cutoff....ME. Without ever seeing Pud's shield, or his cutoff, or pics of his spread....why? b/c there were no pics posted to show any of this.

Again, who made MY mounting bracket...ME. Without ever seeing Pud's bracket.

Again, who was the first to wire up HID's to these projectors as fogs...ME. No where in that thread you so nobly quoted has any mention of him running HID in them.

/teaching lesson off

I give all the work I did on my setup to myself and myself only....the shields, the mounting bracket, setting them up w/ HID's etc. b/c I'm the one that did the work no one else.

We used the same projector...that is where it ends. Nothing other than that is the same so get off it.

I'm sure his setup works good and I know mine works good. I give him kudos for his work and for giving me a reason to do mine.

Again, who was the first to wire up HID's to these projectors as fogs...ME. No where in that thread you so nobly quoted has any mention of him running HID in them.

Sorry, not the first. Road tested 4300k in gregs (icefury) fogs the last two weeks of march and played around with them in the basement december of 06

Again, who made MY custom flat cutoff....ME. Without ever seeing Pud's shield, or his cutoff, or pics of his spread....why? b/c there were no pics posted to show any of this.

In reply to this, I actually had all of those pictures hosted for more than a month ( from october to mid december). I had front, back, cutoff, etc. hosted to my photobucket for icefury to see progress. My photobucket is public and anyone could have acessed the pictures. Mid december I took down all vital pictures. Not to say you did, but you could have seen my pictures.

We used the same projector...that is where it ends. Nothing other than that is the same so get off it.

You waited until you KNEW that the 90 worked. Would you have even thought about it if it wasnt for me mentioning / posting pictures.

All I ever wanted was a nod, you dont even have to give tribute or anything. Just a nod, something as simple as "I really liked the 90mm project pud was doing, I couldnt wait for him to finish it so I did it myself". Instead both your thread and your GB make it seem like it was all you.

Do you ever see me claim the painting of the bezel something like "pudmunkie headlight painting process"? no.... I refer to it as the hightower, to pay respect to hightower who pioneered it.

Do you ever see me claim painting eyelids on the inside (top and bottom) of the headlight as "Pudmunkie elite dual eyelid process"? No... I call it 'outlawed', or outlawing.... to pay respect to Outlaw who made it 'famous'.

Its all a matter of respect. I could have had a mirko skid plate cut up months ago, but didnt because I knew josh (pole) had one in the works. I could have done up a battery relocation kit, but wont because steeda does them. Steeda could offer poly filled mounts to CEG, but doesnt because josh does it.

Im curious, what does your bracket and sheild look like? If you dont want anyone stealing your design, I understand if you dont post it :laugh:

All I have to say to this is....what happens in your little secret bubble world between you and Icefury is just that a secret, b/c no one else knew about it (i sure as hell didn't) b/c you didn't make it public. You didn't make it public and yet I still copied it right...whatever. I'm sorry but I don't go into random ppl's photobucket account and stock their personal pics :laugh:.

I also said in my pics post you were taking to long and you did not sell me a bracket so I made my own....why do I feel like I'm going in circles???

The 90mm works wow so does the PIAA 510. But let me guess I copied when I had them in also.

Lastly, I had sent you PM after PM complementing you on your work so don't give me that b.s. But as soon as I started sending PM's on tips etc. you stopped replying. Ironic? What do you think. Thats where you lost my respect. Several ppl have brought it to my attention that you pulled the same thing with them.

I am going to stop all commenting on this subject as of now. I'm quite satisfied and happy w/ my work and how my project came out.

Cheers

All I have to say to this is....what happens in your little secret bubble world between you and Icefury is just that a secret, b/c no one else knew about it (i sure as hell didn't) b/c you didn't make it public. You didn't make it public and yet I still copied it right...whatever. I'm sorry but I don't go into random ppl's photobucket account and stock their personal pics :laugh:.

I also said in my pics post you were taking to long and you did not sell me a bracket so I made my own....why do I feel like I'm going in circles???

The 90mm works wow so does the PIAA 510. But let me guess I copied when I had them in also.

Lastly, I had sent you PM after PM complementing you on your work so don't give me that b.s. But as soon as I started sending PM's on tips etc. you stopped replying. Ironic? What do you think. Thats where you lost my respect. Several ppl have brought it to my attention that you pulled the same thing with them.

I am going to stop all commenting on this subject as of now. I'm quite satisfied and happy w/ my work and how my project came out.

Cheers

You lost respect for me because I wouldnt hand feed you what I had to learn on my own? Sorry. I offer the service for those that dont want to do it. It pays for the mods on the contour. Im sorry I didnt want to give away something that could potentially make me money!

Look at yamaha, he did the same thing and I pointed him in the right directions... now he knows how to do it! and he did a damn good job!

As for going through my personal pics, its very easy to go to the root off the account (like when I posted the original thread). Again not saying you did it, only replying that it was out there.

Blah blah blah

I didnt give you all the details on my retro for headlights. I didnt get the fog brackets to you soon enough. You did the fogs yourself and did a pretty good job, good for you.

I didn't tell you guys to quit the pissing match in the GB threads just so you can continue it here. I think the events and timeline are pretty obvious here, and everyone is just a bit pissy about it. Let's just drop it. Only posts about the technical and/or aesthetic merits of this stuff should be made here.

So what specifically did you use? Did you put HID projectors in the foglamp location and also on the headlamp housing? What bulbs/ballasts did you use?

In a nut shell I replaced the stock fog lamp w/ the sealed projector. A sealed projector is needed here as it is exposed to the elements. I then made a flat cutoff shield for the projector to acquire the cutoff in the pic above. IMO a flat cutoff is a must for a fog projector. You don't want the output interfering w/ the low beam output which will happen w/ any cutoff other than a flat one. I then made a bracket to mount the projector assembly to the bumper. Lastly I setup the projector to accompany a HID setup instead of the halogen bulbs the projector came with. The end result is what you see in the pics above.

So... if you have hid lows, and hid fogs... as long as they're all the same bulb (color), would you still need a cut off on the fogs?

Its not that big of a necessity. Many people (alot of G35 owners) keep stepped cutoffs in the fog position.

So... if you have hid lows, and hid fogs... as long as they're all the same bulb (color), would you still need a cut off on the fogs?

It's really personal preference. I had these projector fogs installed w/ the shield it came from the factory with and I really didn't care for it. The shield cutoff looked like this ____/------- but a little more slanted. What happened was the step affected the light output to drift up and really started to blend into my low beam HID output. To me it just did not look good and was not clean looking. W/ the flat cutoff shield there is a crisp distinct cutoff for the fogs and it does not creep up and blend into the HID low beam output. With this setup I can appreciate both the HID fogs and HID lows so much better b/c they are separated a bit, not by a gap in light but by the cutoff and change in color. I have my fogs aimed just to the bottom of my low Beam HID output so there is no gap in illumination however you can still see the sharp cutoff of the fogs.

If the bulbs are the same color you may not see the fog output creeping into the low beam output as I did but that's b/c I was running 5000k lows and 3000k fogs. However, I'd still go w/ the flat cutoff if you want a clean look.

I'm still not clear on your setup. I know you have HID fogs, did you also say you have hid lows? What about high beam? Can you give more details on brand, size, etc that you used? Where'd you buy and did you make your own harness or buy that too? Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking to do the HID thing soon and trying to learn as much as I can.

I'm still not clear on your setup. I know you have HID fogs, did you also say you have hid lows? What about high beam? Can you give more details on brand, size, etc that you used? Where'd you buy and did you make your own harness or buy that too? Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking to do the HID thing soon and trying to learn as much as I can.

Yes I have both HID fogs and HID low beams. Both require there own bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, harness, etc. High beam is halogen. I feel it is important to stick to halogen in the high's (unless you do a bi-xenon projector retro in your lows) the reason for this is b/c you want instant bright light for flashing ppl (i.e giving ppl the sign to turn in front of you etc.) as well as quick response when you need more light on the road in front of you. Having a separate HID (non-bi-xenon) high beam would be counter productive as they take around 20 seconds to fully warm up. Also using them to flash someone would be hard on the bulbs, ballasts, and ignitors. The fogs are Hella 90mm's. I got everything (projectors, hid kit, harness) through contacts of mine. The flat cutoff shield I made as well as the bracket to mount the projectors to the bumper. My low beam HID consists on OEM Philips slim ballasts and Philips "+" bulbs. I got the ballasts/ignitor and wiring harness from Xenon depot (expensive but excellent quality...probably could have found cheaper but this was before I knew ppl selling these goods), the bulbs I got from a contact of mine.

Hopefully this answers all your questions. If you want to read up/learn about HID material there are a few good websites/forums you can check out. Try faqlight.carpassion.info and hidplanet.com for starters. There is a lot of sources for really good info on the web but those 2 sites will keep you busy for a while :).

Last edited:
Having HIDs with yellowstar highs, I never had that problem when I had to flash people, they always saw my highs. I think its not a good a idea to convert highs into HIDs, nor try to match the highs with your HID color by putting in a blue bulb..

Back