• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Subframe Bolts

Parp

CEG'er
For those familiar with the 4 bolt LCA subframe on an E0, do the bolts at the very front have integral washers and rubber discs?

I'm asking because a shop made me aware that the washer/rubber piece (they called it a bushing) is missing on one corner of my subframe (front left). Either this piece was lost from a previous repair or, if integral to the bolt, the bolt itself was lost and replaced with a different one.

Shop is saying I need to have this washer/rubber combo to be able to align the car. Is this true?

The washer is built into the bolt. The rubber portion is not part of the bolt; it is the bushing that is pressed into the frame. Technically, it is possible to align the subframe without this bolt and bushing but it is absolutely necessary to have them installed. Would you want to drive a car that had only three of the four bolts installed that hold the subframe onto the car?

Oh my subframe has all four bolts. One of them must not be original though, as it has no washer. The pressed in bushings are at the rear of the front subframe. The front two mounting points have a bushing that sits between the subframe and the body. These may be pressed in as well, but the bushing isn't tall enough to extend through the bottom of the subframe where the bolt head is.

Bill Jenkins sent me a diagram, albeit of the two bolt LCA subframe which may be different. There was no separate rubber piece that mounts between the washer and subframe. Maybe Ford changed the design?

Back