• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gas tank swap or fuel cell

00stealthySVT

CEG'er
kinda up on the all of what i want to do with my beast....i converted from returnless to return.
i made my own housing to drop in the tank but i want to run twin pumps and the housing is too small to do so and barily fits through the gas tank hole as it is.

i can pick up an return style gas tank from a friend so i have the big inner "bowl" so to speak so i dont have to run my custom housing. and have the twin intank pumps but the filler neck lock is fragile on both tanks

OR

i can put a 15gal fuel cell in the trunk with an either aeromotive A1000 pump or two inline walbro's
but the only down fall is ill have to run a stand alone fuel gauge being that they dont make any 15empty-150 full sending units for the cells. ...with a 0 empty and 90 full sender i would be like 3/8 for a full tank on the stock gauge... 3/4 if im lucky. counting miles isnt an option.... since ill be driving like i stole it all the time haha

the car is far from a Daily driver. NO emission testing due to collector tags

well if your doing anything with the fuel system rather than a uprated drop-in pump, you are way ahead of the bulk of the community and without further information of what you are trying to accomplish probably well into the unnecessary category.

I will say I am on the verge of of reworking my fuel system, so I'm very interested in some education and design theory on the subject.

if it were me i would swap tanks. adding the fuel cell is cool and all but what if you need to use your trunk? i just think the tank swap would be easier, with less work involved (fewer things that could go wrong) and probably be cheaper.

i know ill never need the trunk... ive got a truck if i need to move something ect....

it will be about the same price either way.

i was thinking with the fuel cell sending unit i could add a 15ohm resistor and then make the 15 ohm empty like the stock is and then it would give me 105 for full which would be near 3/4 tank.... so 3/4 tank below in theory would be accuate on the gauge other than full.

Back