• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting ready for racing next summer (wheel hop)

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
so one of the problems i had with launching last summer was wheel hop through first gear. i was wondering what i could do to either eliminate or make it less noticible. i'm launching between 3500 and 5000 RPM. would a strut tower brace help? new springs/ shocks/ struts?

for next summer i know i'm getting an UDP and optimized TB for the car. i'm just looking for the car to hook a little better or atleast stop the hop.

my goal is to knock about a second off of last years run of a 17.304

i've been wanting to do that.

just got offered a Nitrous kit for $350, comes with 75-150 hp jets, bottle heater, etc. i guess figuring out how much to shoot would go in a different thread?

traction bars, but they'll have to be custom made. not sure if anyone has made a set for the contour yet

pole120 was doing some research into fabbing up lower control arms also, IIRC The poly'd mounts are recommended. I replaced my control arms with stock units last spring but did not drag this past summer to check how much difference fresh bushing material made, the rubber pieces on my old ones, originals on the car, were turning into shards.

put a front filled mount in first. don't do the rear unless the wheel hop isn't any better. two poly filled roll resistors and you will notice some vibration.

if they are original control arms then the bushings will be shot. this lets the control arm move around and can worsen any wheel hop.

Poly mounts will help for sure. On the street my SVT with 94A filled mounts is almost always relatively hop-free. With stock mounts, which were actually in decent shape I did have some hop but I never tested it out really as at that point I still had a stock differential and didn't want to break it.

On the track is a different story. It all depends on track prep, conditions, etc. I try to launch on the verge of breaking the tires loose, launch too hard and you'll just rip 'em loose through first. Launch too low and you'll bog. It's a game of finding what the car likes. I ended up cutting a 2.1 60' on street tires with a good launch.

Wonder what my zetec would run. :ponder:

Pole never got back to me. how much does he charge per mount?

I WANNA know wat everyones zetec runs, just to know how well my car is doin compared to other 2.0s

Pole never got back to me. how much does he charge per mount?

I WANNA know wat everyones zetec runs, just to know how well my car is doin compared to other 2.0s

My car runs a never @ never, w/o any power for wheel hop:shrug:

As far as the poly, 99Mystique's car is a traction whore, and hauls alot of ass in 2nd. But one thing, if this is your DD, the poly mounts make everything up front a bit stiffer, and I noticed a difference between Andy's car and a car with stock mounts. Just something to think about.:cool:

Also, you may have a pre-98 diff, but two things....
-The pre-98 is not 100% known to be a stronger diff
-It's not immortal. I'd stay closer to 3500 RPM when launching, and be careful no to dump the clutch every time you shift. I still need to work on the whole "clutch, shift, clutch out, gas" thing :laugh:

your 17.3 is a bit slow. I was running mid 16s with just intake, exhaust, and UDP. ran a 17.1 at a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty track (anyone that went to SZ06 can attest to that).

Yes, the 94A's do add a bit of NVH but you get used to it. I was a bit surprised how much different the car felt with the filled mounts when I first installed them. FWIW, I poured my own mounts and would definitely do it again, it's really not that hard to do. If I end up keeping and fixing up the 'Stique I may get some 80A poly to fill the mounts in it as with 175k they're pretty much completely shot.

Also, pole will not do the pre98 mounts, he only does the newer style which means you'd have to source your own to have him fill them or pay his core charge. There is a how-to floating around on here for this which you can take a look at if you're considering a DIY job on them.

As far as the poly, 99Mystique's car is a traction whore, and hauls alot of ass in 2nd. But one thing, if this is your DD, the poly mounts make everything up front a bit stiffer, and I noticed a difference between Andy's car and a car with stock mounts. Just something to think about.:cool:

I was thinking that as well. I figured a 5-spd/zetec should at least be in the high 16's... My old v6/atx 'Stique ran a best of a 16.4@85mph stock and i'd think you should be closer to that with some good driving.

your 17.3 is a bit slow. I was running mid 16s with just intake, exhaust, and UDP. ran a 17.1 at a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty track (anyone that went to SZ06 can attest to that).

I have the "Redcoat Racing Anti-wheel Hop Street Link" and the Energy suspension insert for the front motor mount and that helped in the wheel hop department :)

Back