• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Guess what I picked up

ya thats odd.... I can't follow you exactly, but have you tried a different set of tires? maybe its just a flat spot on one of them.

do you have 2 or 4 bolt control arms? if its 2, check the condition of the bushings.

is there any play in the tires if you have the car jacked up?

I tore the right front side apart several times checking for the vibration. All the control arm bushings check out, thats why I decided just to do the balljoints.

I think I found the problem, a bad rebuild CVJ. I have checked it before but this time the inner joint moves in the socket up and down and makes a crunching sound. Napa ordered me another one. I'll have it one the car tomorrow night. I'll keep you guys updated.

OK, I've been honest on the build so far including screw ups. So why stop.

I may have damaged the joint while tring to use it as a slide hammer to install it into the intermediate shaft. If you ever had a hard time getting it to "click" in place you'll know what I mean. The inner joint on the right side axle was shredded. My guy at Napa replaced it free of charge. I threw everything back together and took it for a test drive around town. No vibe but some thing is still loose. Pulled it back into the garage and raised it up for the 100th time. I took all my sockets and went over every nut and bolt in the front suspension. Found the caliper bracket loose, hell the bolts were out about 1/8". Now i'm upset! I went over every damn nut and bolt I could reach under the car. I found a couple more motor mount bolts loose..not bad but loose. Well, I hope thats it.

I'll keep every one up to date.

happens. no ones perfect.

+1, I've had more than my fair share of loose bolts.... glad you caught the caliper early. I once forgot to tighten down the rears and its a really nasty sound when a caliper jumps off the rotor.

ya and I'm glad people post up this stuff. I've never done a cv shaft by myself. I'll definitely take notes on your experience when I get to that.

Update

Update

This past week I signed up for the Learnig Curve SCCA deal so, now i have to get the SVT ready.

This past week I bought:
-SCT Xcal2
-SVT Focus fuel pump

((((Cough))) waiting on a brake upgrade

Thing i need to do:
-Install fuel pump
-Install my NOS kit
-Fabricate my own CAI tube. I don't like how the aftermarket ones are set up.
I have a new aftermarket setup for sale.
-Have it tuned for both NOS and N/A.
-One day upgrade the sound system....man the stock system sucks!

This past week I signed up for the Learnig Curve SCCA deal so, now i have to get the SVT ready.

This past week I bought:
-SCT Xcal2
-SVT Focus fuel pump

Thing i need to do:
-Install fuel pump
-Install my NOS kit

You aren't installing the nitrous FOR the learning curve course are you? SCCA won't tech you through with a bottle in the car. No nitrous for auto-x. It would also be very dangerous to come on and off the spray like that.

Sweet build other then that though, will be fun for auto-x!

LOL, it does sound that way.:laugh: I'm installing the nitrous in order to have the car tuned all at once.

I'm hoping it will :).

This past week I bought:
-SCT Xcal2
-SVT Focus fuel pump

Thing i need to do:
-Install fuel pump
-Install my NOS kit
did you buy the Focus pump because yours is dead? or because you think its an upgrade? If you think its an upgrade, its not. there is no difference between the SVTF pump and the regular 03-04 Zetec Focus, it is also not a 255LPH pump but rather only a 155LPH pump.

did you buy the Focus pump because yours is dead? or because you think its an upgrade? If you think its an upgrade, its not. there is no difference between the SVTF pump and the regular 03-04 Zetec Focus, it is also not a 255LPH pump but rather only a 155LPH pump.

I bought the pump cheap enough. If it flows the same as our pumps then theres no point in changing it. I was told it flows 255 lph if you look at several other sites they all state the same. I need more info before I replace it then. How much does ours flow? I just don't want to starve my NOS kit.

I bought the pump cheap enough. If it flows the same as our pumps then theres no point in changing it. I was told it flows 255 lph if you look at several other sites they all state the same. I need more info before I replace it then. How much does ours flow? I just don't want to starve my NOS kit.
IIRC the stock SVTC pump is a 190LPH pump.

I know people on here, and other sites, claim the SVTF pump to be different and rate it at 255LPH but it was tested over on FocalJet and Steve at Tousley confirmed part numbers and there is no difference between the SVTF and regular Focus pumps.

IIRC the stock SVTC pump is a 190LPH pump.

I know people on here, and other sites, claim the SVTF pump to be different and rate it at 255LPH but it was tested over on FocalJet and Steve at Tousley confirmed part numbers and there is no difference between the SVTF and regular Focus pumps.

Stolen from Focaljet.
"O.K. lets get this whole thread straight.

There is no difference between a regular ZX3 pump and an SVT pump.

All Zetec Foci use the same pumps in their particular model years.

2001-
1M5Z-9H307-CA this is the upgraded recall pump.

2002-
early 1M5Z-9H307-CA
late 2M5Z-9H307-AD

2003 and 2004 share the same pump.
3S4Z-9H307-BC

The Duratec cars do use different pumps.

My '02 SVT uses the 2M5Z-9H307-AD pump, I can tell you that I sell the '03 Focus pumps to guys with '03-'04 Cobra Mustangs because their pump housings have two pump motors in them and the individual Focus pumps do flow more than the individual Cobra pumps.

I can also tell you that the Focus pump does not flow much if at all better than a stock Mustang GT pump so when guys with high HP GT's need to upgrade they either go to a Lincoln Aviator pump or spend the big bucks and upgrade to the '03-'04 Cobra tank and dual pump setup.

It is possible that all '02 SVT's were built with the late build pump and that is where the myth of the SVTF pump came from but I gaurantee that there are lots of standard Foci out there running the same pump.

I have no specs on the pumps, only catalog listings so it is possible that the late ones have a higher flow rating but I have no way to know that.

When I sell them to Cobra guys I sell the '03-'04 pump because it is the least expensive.

I hope all this makes sense."

It might not be even worth saving if it flows less then the CSVT's. The only reason the cobra guys buy them is cause there are 2 pumps in their tanks. Interesting! I learn something every day.

I’m back with more mods! Ok, repairing mods that I did wrong. I filled my roll resistor with window urethane WRONG way to do it. I have a clunk under the car, the first thing I saw was my roll resistor had smooched out the urethane from the side. When I took it off the car I found that I had made my own “French tickler”:

FxCam_1289357064483.jpg
FxCam_1289357128284.jpg

The WU (window urethane) way will not work due to the cavity inside of that mount you don’t see:

FxCam_1289402448599.jpg
FxCam_1289402648908.jpg

Time to do it right, I removed all the rubber from the center tube sandblasted it and the mount itself. I was going to fabricate a fixture out of sheet metal and tubes but since I have a simple mind I thought of a simple solution with cardboard:

FxCam_1289437783238.jpg
FxCam_1289438038191.jpg

FxCam_1289438109223.jpg
FxCam_1289438131368.jpg

Unfortunaly the can of urethane that Mcmaster Carr gave me was old and had cured in the can. As soon as the next shipment comes I’ll post pictures of it being filled and taped together.

Then CSVT saga continues.

I hope so too.

I wanted to put a layer of wax paper in between but we were all out. Only had parchment paper. That wouldn't work the same obviously. I coated the sides with grease. Hope it works.

Back